Eastern Michigan University
Information For EMU Staff and Faculty
Students may be unfamiliar with Counseling and Psychological Services or have fears about seeing a psychologist/counselor. If you are a staff or faculty member, the following suggestions may help you to refer a student to CAPS:
- Explain that addressing problems is a sign of strength and provide information about CAPS. Provide our location, hours and services (general counseling information).
- Inform students that services are professional, confidential and free! Tell students how to schedule an appointment (You can call 734-487-1118 to have brochures sent to you).
- If a situation is urgent, you may call and identify the student’s name to alert us that the student is being referred.
- If the problem is an emergency, let us know! Bring the student to the office. With his/her permission, provide information so we can understand the background prior to meeting with the student.
- If after hours, contact staff by email or phone. If it is an emergency, call campus police (911).