* TEMPORARY SHUTDOWN OF ELEVATOR IN MAIN PARKING STRUCTURE: The main parking structure's elevator will be temporarily shutdown today, July 31 and again on Friday, Aug. 7 around 7:30 a.m. for routine maintenance. The elevator should be back open by 4:30 p.m.
* FORMER EMU EMPLOYEE PASSES AWAY: Kathy Bellers, 70 passed away July 28. She retired from EMU in 2000 following thirty years of employment. The funeral service will be held on Saturday, Aug. 1 at 11 a.m. at the Ypsilanti Assembly of God, 701 Holmes Road, Ypsilanti. The family will receive friends on Friday July 31 from 2 - 4 p.m. at the church. For more information, visit Kathy Bellers Obituary.
* EMU SENSITIVE DATA GUIDE IS NOW AVAILABLE: Do you routinely work with birthdates, credit cards, student grades, class schedules, research data or other regulated or sensitive data? The EMU Sensitive Data Guide is now available to help you easily determine where you can store (or transmit) particular types of sensitive data.
The guide uses a simple matrix format to display the information. Along the left column, different types of sensitive data are identified (such as “Student Education Records”). Along the top row, different systems commonly in use at EMU are identified (such as “EagleMail”). All column and row headers are hyperlinks to more detailed information about that specific type of sensitive data or EMU storage/communication system. The guide can be found at Sensitive Data Guide or by going to the Information Technology page on the EMU website, and then clicking “Security” in the menu bar. Questions or suggestions about this online guide can be addressed to Rocky Jenkins email@example.com or 487-3145.
SNOW HEALTH CENTER PHARMACY WILL BE CLOSED AUG. 3-7: The Snow Pharmacy will be closed Monday, Aug. 3 - Friday, Aug. 7. Please plan around this closure period for your prescription needs. Contact Jerry Vidis at 487-1125 or at firstname.lastname@example.org or email the pharmacy at email@example.com with any questions.
* BECOME A 2015 CREATIVE FACULTY FELLOW: The Creative Science Inquiry Experience (CSIE) program is now accepting applications for the Faculty Fellowship program. All instructors are eligible (Part-Time and Full-Time Lecturers, Tenure-Track and Tenured faculty). The application deadline is September 8. For more information or to apply, go to the Creative Faculty Fellow Application or for questions, please contact the FDC at 487-2530.
ESP TRAINING: Is your SmartPhone secure? Is your phone configured so that you could locate it if lost or stolen? Is your phone configured to connect to EMU Secure Wireless? Do you have a passcode set to prevent a thief from quickly accessing your photos and information? To learn steps to secure your mobile device, sign up for an Eagle Security Package (ESP) session. In a 2 hour training session you will install and be trained on EMU provided software, Duo (2-factor authentication) and LastPass (encrypted password vault). You’ll also receive advice on other ways you can keep your data secure. Sign up for a session at ESP Training Sign Up. Questions or concerns may be directed to Rocky Jenkins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 487-3145.
TESTING OF THE INDOOR AND OUTDOOR SPEAKERS ON CAMPUS: The EMU Department of Public Safety will be conducting a test of all of the campus outdoor speakers, along with the indoor speakers in Pray-Harrold and Alexander, today, July 31 at 12 p.m. The test message will run for approximately two minutes.If you have any questions regarding the testing or other emergency management issues, please contact the Emergency Management Office at 487-0799 or visit the Public Safety website.
PLANNED NETWORK DOWNTIME: Maintenance of EMU's wireless (WiFi) network and wired network is scheduled for tonight, July 31, beginning at 6 p.m. and completing by midnight. During this maintenance, all campus buildings will experience network service interruptions of approximately 1-4 hours. Computing systems hosted at EMU will be sporadically unavailable during this outage. The following services are affected:
• WiFi / Wireless Network - all buildings - WiFi services will be unavailable for up to four hours during the window.
• Wired Network - Network equipment configuration updates will occur for the following buildings, interrupting services for one hour or less per building. Buildings that will experience a service disruption during this outage include:
- Greenhouse (Outage for this building may be up to two hours)
- Parking Structure
- Public Safety
This maintenance is expected to be complete by 10 p.m., however, the full window is reserved in case issues emerge during the work. This maintenance is scheduled for this date and time to minimize impact on students, faculty and their access to campus services. Please plan to schedule work around these outages.
For a full list of all systems affected, please visit IT’s System Outage Page. Although network maintenance may disrupt access to these services, all other systems and services remain online and will be available as network service is restored:
- My.emich self-service faculty, student and employee tabs
- Online Hiring System ( www.emich.edu/jobs )
- EagleMail (available at https://mail.emich.edu/ )
- Google Apps ( http://google.emich.edu )
Please contact the Help Desk at 487-2120 or email@example.com if you have any questions about this scheduled downtime. We appreciate your patience during this important and required system outage.
THE GALA OF THE ROYAL HORSES: The Gala of The Royal Horses world-renowned equestrian tour will be performed tonight, July 31 at 7 p.m. at the EMU Convocation Center. The Gala of the Royal Horses is a spectacular entertainment event combining the most beautiful horses in the world with live performers creating a breathtaking event for the entire family. This event is a “must see” for horse lovers and families. Tickets start at $35 and there are a limited number of VIP seats available. Tickets are available at Venue Box Office, online at EMUtix.com or call the EMU Ticket Office at 487-2282. Additional facility fees, service charges and/or taxes may be included in (or added) to ticket prices.
ADD AN EVENT TO THE EMU EVENT CALENDAR: To submit an event to be posted on the EMU event calendar, click on Submit an Event, or go to the EMU homepage, click on "calendars," then click the green button labeled "Submit an Event" (located on the bottom left) and enter your event information. All events are subject to approval.
SUBMISSIONS FOR POSTING IN EMU TODAY: EMU Today is an internal daily e-blast sent to the faculty and staff. To submit an announcement or post an event, please forward your entry electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to format your entry with a title and include a description of the event, where the event will be held (room and building), the date and time, and a contact name, phone number and/or e-mail address. For questions, contact Debra Johnson at 487-2484 or email at email@example.com.
NOTE: An asterisk denotes a new item.