* OPEN Q&A SESSIONS WITH THE CANDIDATES FOR THE CAMPUS LIFE TRANSFER AND PARENT PROGRAMS CORDINATOR POSITION: Campus Life invites members of the EMU community to join them for an open Q&A session and presentation with each candidate for the position of Transfer and Parent Programs Coordinator on the following dates:
- Jimmy Arnold: Friday, Oct. 24, from 2 - 2:50 p.m. in room 352 in the Student Center.
- Caroline Horste: Monday, Oct. 27, from 2 - 2:50 p.m. in room 320 in the Student Center.
- Sheri Samaha: Tuesday, Oct. 28, from 2 - 2:50 p.m. in room 352 in the Student Center.
For more information, please contact Amy Barnhart at email@example.com or call 487-2265.
* WEAR "PINK" AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR BREAST CANCER AWARENESS: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and the EMU campus community is encouraged to wear "PINK" on Wednesday, Oct. 29 to raise awareness and show your support for breast cancer. For more information on breast cancer awareness and women's health, please visit the University Health Services lobby or visit www.emich.edu/uhs.
FACULTY AND STAFF NEEDED FOR CPR AND AED TRAINING:EMU Environmental Health Safety is looking for faculty and staff volunteers who might be interested in attending Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) training. If you are interested, please sign-up for one of the following training sessions:
- Monday, Oct. 27: 1:30 - 4 p.m. in room 300 in Halle Library
- Thursday, Nov. 13: 9 - 11:30 a.m. in room 300 in Halle Library
- Wednesday, Dec. 17: 9 - 11:30 a.m. in room 300 in Halle Library
To register for a session, please email Kathryn Wilhoff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OCTOBER IS CYBER SECURITY MONTH: Each October we are reminded to be e-Safe. The EMU Division of IT would like to remind you to be on the look-out for Phishing attempts in emails. Watch Ben, Benji and Benny in the animated "E-Safe: Phishing Emails - Internet Safety" YouTube video to learn how to avoid becoming a victim. If you have any questions, contact Rocky Jenkins at email@example.com.
SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR THE EMU EAGLES AND THE HONORS COLLEGE AT THE SAME TIME: Join the EMU Honors College on Saturday, Oct. 25 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at a special Honors College Tailgate Fundraiser on the northwest side of Rynearson Stadium. Cost is $15/Adult, $10/Student and children 10 and younger get in for FREE. Part of the proceeds will go to the Honors College Study Abroad Scholarship Fund. Meet current Honors students and staff and network with alumni before the Eagles go to work against Northern Illinois Huskies at The Factory at 1 p.m. Kids will love visiting EMU’s Family Fun Zone. RSVP at Honors College Tailgate Fundraiser. For more information, call the Honors College at 487-0345.
PLANNED COMPUTING SYSTEM DOWNTIME: Monthly maintenance of EMU's computing system will be performed on Friday, Oct. 24 through Saturday, Oct. 25. This is a special maintenance window needed to install critical upgrades to Banner. These upgrades will begin on Friday, Oct. 24 at 6 p.m. and will finish no later than Saturday, Oct. 25 at 5 p.m. During this upgrade, the following major computer systems will be unavailable:
• My.emich self-service faculty, student and employee tabs
• Applications Manager/UC4
• Xtender imaging
During the planned outage, all other systems and services remain AVAILABLE including:
• Wired and Wireless Internet Access (residence halls, offices, and classrooms)
• EMU-Online course management system ( http://emuonline.edu )
• Online Hiring System ( www.emich.edu/jobs )
• EagleMail (available at https://mail.emich.edu/)
• Google Apps (http://google.emich.edu)
All planned maintenance for major EMU systems is scheduled in conjunction with the ERP-Business Operations Committee (BOC). The BOC includes representation from various campus units and Faculty Senate. Please contact the Help Desk at (734) 487-2120 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about this scheduled downtime. We appreciate your patience during this important and required system outage.
EMU UNIVERSITY HEALTH SERVICES OFFERS SCREENING FOR TRAVELERS WHO MAY HAVE BEEN TO A COUNTRY AFFECTED BY EBOLA OUTBREAKS: While Ebola poses little risk to the U.S. general population, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) has recommended that college health services contact all students, staff and faculty coming to campus from any of the countries where Ebola has had a significant impact. EMU University Health Services (UHS) will be conducting phone screenings for those who, within the past 21 days, may have been in a location where outbreaks have occurred. If UHS determines that someone is at risk, it will work with the Washtenaw County Health Department for guidance on how that person should be monitored.
UHS has reached out to those who it believes to have traveled to/from an area of concern, however it can be difficult to identify all who might be affected. For those who may have traveled to or from Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone, or Nigeria within the past 21 days, please call University Health Services at 487-1122, so that staff can determine your level of risk exposure and provide you with information for monitoring your health. When calling, please let UHS know that you were recently in one of the countries where outbreaks are occurring and that you would like to speak with a nurse. For those seeking further information, you may access the CDC website and read the "Advice for Colleges, Universities and Students on Ebola."
WRITERS IN CONVERSATION - CRITERIA OF THE REAL: MEMORY, TEXT AND AUTOBIOGRAPHY: The EMU Creative Writing Department will host “Writers in Conversation (Criteria of the Real: Memory, Text and Autobiography)” by authors Robert Glück and Miranda Mellis today, Oct. 23, 4:30 – 6 p.m. in the Halle Library Auditorium. For more information or questions, please contact David Boeving at email@example.com.
SUBMISSIONS IN EMU TODAY: Please note, EMU TODAY is an internal daily e-blast sent to faculty and staff. To submit an announcement or post an event, please forward your entry electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to format your entry with a title and include a description of the event, where the event will be held (room and building), the date and time, and a contact name, phone number and/or e-mail address. For questions, contact Debra Johnson at 487-2484 or email at email@example.com.
NOTE: An asterisk denotes a new item.