* BLACK FRIDAY, CYBER MONDAY, #GIVINGTUESDAY: We have a day to give thanks and two days to get deals! Now it's time for a day to give back. EMU has become an official partner of #GivingTuesday, a national movement that kicks off the giving season with a day dedicated to charitable giving. Last year we raised$138,000. In the spirit of celebrating our good fortune, strong community values and educational excellence, EMU will harness the power of social media and the generosity of our alumni, friends, faculty, staff and students. We will be counting all gifts made to EMU via web, phone and mail on December 2nd as part of our #GivingTuesday campaign.
Please visit Giving to EMU (http://www.emich.edu/foundation/news/givingtuesday.php) and learn more about how you can be a part of the second annual, single-day fundraising campaign and make your gift on December 2nd. Join the EMU #GivingTuesday event on Facebook to tell us you're taking the pledge to give back to EMU. For any questions, please contact Susan Rink firstname.lastname@example.org.
* PLANNED COMPUTING SYSTEM DOWNTIME: Monthly maintenance of EMU's computing systems is routinely performed on Friday, Dec. 5 from 6 p.m. to midnight. During this month’s maintenance program, the following major computer systems will be unavailable:
• My.emich self-service faculty, student and employee tabs
For a full list of all systems affected please visit IT’s system outage page: http://it.emich.edu/portal/systems/index.cfm?fuseaction=all
All other systems and services remain AVAILABLE including:
• Wired and Wireless Internet Access (residence halls, offices, and classrooms)
• EMU-Online course management system ( http://emuonline.edu )
• Online Hiring System ( www.emich.edu/jobs )
• EagleMail (available at https://mail.emich.edu/)
• Google Apps (http://google.emich.edu)
All planned maintenance for major EMU systems is scheduled in conjunction with the ERP-Business Operations Committee (BOC). The BOC includes representation from various campus units and Faculty Senate. Please contact the Help Desk at 487-2120 or email@example.com if you have any questions about this scheduled downtime. We appreciate your patience during this important and required system outage.
HERTZ ON DEMAND CAR SHARING PROGRAM ENDS: The Hertz on Demand Car Sharing program will come to an end on Saturday, Dec. 6, however, the EMU University Support Services group is working to replace the Hertz program with another car sharing program and it is hoped that the new provider will be in place shortly after the New Year. Please contact Steve Siller at 487-8064 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
UNDERGRADUATE SYMPOSIUM NOMINATIONS NOW BEING ACCEPTED: The 2015 Undergraduate Symposium nomination site is now open for students to submit their research projects. The site will remain open for student submissions through January 15, 2015. The 35th Undergraduate Symposium will be held on Friday, Mar. 27, 2015 at the EMU Student Center. For more information, please visit the event website at emich.edu/symposium or contact Wendy Kivi at 487-31978 or email email@example.com.
THE GIVING TREE PROJECT: Do you remember last winter? So does Michigan’s 86,000 homeless. The EMU National Pan Hellenic Council (NPHC), Black Student Union (BSU) and National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) student organizations are teaming up to help keep the homeless warm this winter. They are asking for donations of new and gently used/clean items listed in order of priority: Coats, hats, gloves and scarves.
Their goal is to keep 500 people warm this winter. Items will be disbursed throughout the Metro Detroit and Ypsilanti to communities in need. There are three ways to donate: a) Contact any NPHC, NAACP or BSU member; b) Donate clothing items at their Lobby Table in the Student Center on Tuesdays from 1-3 p.m. or c) Drop-off items in their Christmas themed donation boxes located in the Student Center and Pray-Harold. For questions, please contact Cherise Floyd- Gallon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE WOMEN’S RESOURCE CENTER NEEDS VOLUNTEERS TO SPEAK AT THEIR BROWN BAG SERIES: The Women's Resource Center will be kicking off another round of the Brown Bag Lecture Series in January and they are seeking interested graduate and undergraduate students, faculty and/or staff to present on women's-related research topics during the Winter 2015 semester. The Brown Bag sessions are held every Wednesday from 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. in the Halle Library. If you are interested in becoming a presenter, please click on the link at: http://goo.gl/forms/mWRKr4FTRc. For questions, please call the WRC at 487-4282 or email at email@example.com.
RECYCLE YOUR GENTLY USED SHOES: The EMU Children’s Institute has once again teamed up with the Michigan Orphan Kitten Rescue and Shoe Box Recycling to help locally rescued orphaned kittens. Please drop off all paired children's, men’s and women’s shoes that are still usable to the Children’s Institute, located at Fletcher School on Cornell. The Michigan Orphan Kitten Rescue gets money for the shoes to help orphan kittens. Please keep in mind, they can't use heavy boots, flip flops, skates or blades. For questions or additional information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. To see photos of kittens they have rescued, please visit their Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/mikittens. If you have any questions, please call Tracey Buhinicek at 487-2348.
SUBMISSIONS IN EMU TODAY: Please note, EMU TODAY is an internal daily e-blast sent to faculty and staff. To submit an announcement or post an event, please forward your entry electronically to email@example.com. Please be sure to format your entry with a title and include a description of the event, where the event will be held (room and building), the date and time, and a contact name, phone number and/or e-mail address. For questions, contact Debra Johnson at 487-2484 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: An asterisk denotes a new item.