EMU FOUNDATION BOARD OF TRUSTEES: The EMU Foundation Board of Trustees will meet on Friday, Feb. 12, at 1 p.m. at Arbor Brewing Company, located 720 Norris Street, Ypsilanti. The public is welcome. For more information, call Maria Cyars at 487-0078.
* OVERVIEW OF THE FY2016 FEDERAL BUDGET: Please join Keith Morrison, EMU's federal relations representative on Monday Feb. 15, from 8:15 – 9:30 a.m. in room 300 Halle Library. This overview will provide information on the status of funding programs for research and other sponsored activity. Some highlights will include:
- 5% increase over sequestration levels
- 8% increase in research and development funding over FY2015 levels with both NSF and NIH receiving increases
- Increased funding for U.S. Department of Education’s Institute
Coffee and pastries will be served. For questions, contact Jennifer Glass at email@example.com.
NOMINATIONS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED FOR THE 2016 STUDENT GOLD MEDALLION AWARDS: To nominate a student, organization or organization adviser for a Student Gold Medallion Award, please visit the Student Medallion Award Homepage. Nominations are due February 15, 2016 by noon. All currently enrolled EMU undergraduate and graduate students in good standing are eligible to be nominated for Student Gold Medallion Awards. All recognized student organizations at EMU and their advisers are also eligible. Visit the List of Student Organizations for 2015-2016 to see all the student organizations at EMU. Any current student or EMU employee may submit nominations. For questions, please contact Kate Curley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EMU AND COMMUNITY PARTNERS WATER DRIVE TO HELP FLINT RESIDENTS: A Flint Water Drive is under way on EMU's campus and at several community partner sites until Friday, Feb. 12. The goal is to receive more than 500 cases of bottled water, along with gallon and five-gallon containers of water to help Flint residents with the water crisis. The water delivery will occur on Friday, Feb. 12. The donation sites and their associated drop off hours are:
- The EMU Convocation Center (Loading Dock), located at 799 N. Hewitt Rd., 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- The EMU Student Center (west entrance circle drive, drop off at information desk inside), located at 900 Oakwood St., 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday-Friday
- The Ypsilanti Community Schools Administration Building, located at 1885 Packard Rd., 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- Ypsilanti Community High School, 2095 Packard Rd., 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- Gene Butman Ford, 2105 Washtenaw Ave., 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays.
- Ypsilanti City Fire Department, 525 W. Michigan Ave., 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.
The EMU departments involved include the Athletics Department, Student Government, various student organizations, The Honors College, Bright Futures, VISION Office, EMU Housing and Residence Life and EMU Campus Life. For more information or to volunteer to help during the Flint Water Drive, contact Evan Sweet at email@example.com.
PLANNED COMPUTING SYSTEM DOWNTIME: Monthly maintenance of EMU's computing systems will be performed on Friday, Feb. 12, from 6 p.m. to midnight. During this month’s maintenance program, the following major computer systems will be unavailable:
• My.emich (including self-service faculty, student and employee tabs)
For a full list of all systems affected please visit IT’s system outage page: http://it.emich.edu/portal/systems/index.cfm?fuseaction=all
All other systems and services remain AVAILABLE including:
• Wired and Wireless Internet Access (residence halls, offices, and classrooms)
• Canvas Learning Management System ( http://canvas.emich.edu/ )
• Online Hiring System ( www.emich.edu/jobs )
• EagleMail (available at https://mail.emich.edu/)
• Google Apps (http://google.emich.edu)
All planned maintenance for major EMU systems is scheduled in conjunction with the ERP-Business Operations Committee (BOC). The BOC includes representation from various campus units and Faculty Senate. Please contact the Help Desk at 487-2120 if you have any questions about this scheduled downtime. We appreciate your patience during this important and required system outage.
MORRIS CHAIR - PHILLIP BOWMAN LECTURE: Phillip Bowman, the Michael G. Morris Chair, will talk about "Promoting Success among Black Males in Higher Education: Rethinking Intervention Strategies at EMU and Beyond – What Works?" today, Feb. 10 from 12 – 1 p.m. in room 221 in John W. Porter Bldg. Bowman will lead a session engaging stakeholders across the University to consider strategies focused on creating a campus community where students of color can thrive academically, socially and professionally. For questions and/or more information, visit the Morris Chair homepage or contact Regina George at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WOMEN’S & GENDER LECTURE SERIES: The Women’s & Gender Studies Department is pleased to present Solange Simoes today, Feb. 10, from 12 – 1:30 p.m. in room 217 in Halle Library. Simoes will talk on "Resisting Economic Precarity and Fighting Gender Inequality in the Global South: Brazilian Women and Public Policy." The event is free and LBC approved. Contact Jennifer Stavros at 487-1177 or email email@example.com with questions.
EMU THEATRE PRESENTS "THE PIANO LESSON": Celebrate Black History month with EMU Theatre's presentation of August Wilson's The Piano Lesson. Directed by Lee Stille, The Piano Lesson is a haunting poetic drama that will be performed in the Sponberg Theatre tonight, Feb. 10 at 7 p.m. Recommended for ages 13+. Ticket prices are $15, $12 for students and seniors, and $9 for MAINSTAGE patrons. Tickets are available in person at the Convocation Center, the Student Center or the Quirk Box Office, by phone at 487-2282 and online at www.emutix.com. Please note that there is an additional surcharge for tickets purchased by mail, phone, or online. For more information about EMU Theatre, our season and directions to our theatres, visit www.emich.edu/emutheatre, fan us on Facebook: Eastern Michigan University Theatre or follow us on Twitter: emutheatre.
SUBMIT AN EVENT TO THE EMU EVENT CALENDAR: To submit an event to the EMU event calendar, click on Submit an Event, or go to the EMU homepage, click on "calendars," then click the green button labeled "Submit an Event" (located on the bottom left) and enter your event information. All events are subject to approval.
SUBMISSIONS FOR POSTING IN EMU TODAY: EMU Today is an internal daily e-blast sent to the faculty and staff. To submit an announcement or post an event, please forward your entry electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to format your entry with a title and include a description of the event, where the event will be held (room and building), the date and time, and a contact name, phone number and/or e-mail address. For questions, contact Debra Johnson at 487-2484 or email at email@example.com.
NOTE: An asterisk denotes a new item.