* PRESS CONFERENCE TO INTRODUCE NEW EMU HEAD FOOTBALL COACH: A press conference to formally introduce the new EMU head football coach Chris Creighton will be held today, Dec. 12, at 3 p.m., in the EMU Convocation Center. Creighton comes from Des Moines, Iowa's Drake University. He will become the 37th full-time head coach in EMU's 122-year history. A press release posted by the EMU Athletic's Department can be found at http://emueagles.com/news/2013/12/11/FB_1211133805.aspx.
WILLIAM P. MORRIS PASSES AWAY: William P. Morris, 71, of Monroe, died Sunday at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, Ann Arbor, surrounded by his family. Visitation will be Thursday, Dec. 12, 1 - 8 p.m. at Rupp Funeral Home, 2345 S. Custer Street, Monroe, MI. He will lie instate 10 a.m. Friday at Monroe Missionary Baptist Church, located at 14260 S. Dixie Hwy., Monroe, with funeral services at 11 a.m.
Morris earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in education from Eastern Michigan University in 1964 and 1968. He also received the Distinguished Alumnus Award from EMU in 1992 and was inducted into the College of Education Alumni Hall of Fame in 2003. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorial contributions be made to the Eastern Michigan University Foundation, William P. Morris Memorial Fund. Further information can be found at www.ruppfuneralhomeinc.com.
* HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICE WILL BE CLOSED ON DEC. 13: The Human Resources Office located in 140 McKenny Hall will be closed on Friday, Dec. 13, from 2 - 5 p.m. for an off-site office function. Normal hours of operation will resume on Monday, Dec. 16, at 8 a.m. For general questions, please contact the HR Front Desk at 487-3430. Thank you and Happy Holidays from the HR Team!
FIND EMU PRODUCTS AT AREA RETAIL STORES: Several local area retailers have a variety of TRUEMU products for sale in their stores - just in time for your holiday shopping. The retailers are:
- Bed, Bath, and Beyond (Fairlane Green Shopping Center)
- Campus Den (Twelve Oaks Mall, Oakland Mall)
- Lids (Twelve Oaks Mall, Westland Center Mall, Laurel Park Place, Tanger Outlet, Southland Center Mall)
- Finish Line (Laurel Park Place, Frenchtown Square Mall, Great Lakes Crossing, Somerset Collection Mall)
- Sports Mania (Southland Center Mall)
- Dunham’s (Belleville, Ypsilanti, Ann Arbor, Livonia, Monroe Center, Allen Park, Canton)
* NEW STUDY ABROAD PROGRAM: HIGHER EDUCATION AND STUDENT AFFAIRS: The Department of Leadership and Counseling at EMU will be offering a summer Study Abroad Program in Ecuador in 2014 (May 20 - June 1). This program will explore higher education and student affairs, visiting several institutions of higher education, meeting wit faculty and administrators, and learning from lectures and site visits. Each student enrolled in the program will receive 3 credits of EDLD 592 (graduate) or EDLD 479 (undergraduate).
We are happy to continue to provide high quality opportunities to grow and learn for our students and highly encourage you to take part on this experience. Start planning for Summer 2014.This program is open to all EMU students. For more details, please contact Raul Leon at firstname.lastname@example.org. Limited space available for this study abroad opportunity.
STUDENTS CAN CHECK GRADES 'ON THE GO' THROUGH NEW MOBILE APP: EMU has launched a mobile application for use with Apple and Android devices. The free app provides mobile access to grades, schedule, campus map, notifications about holds, EMU news and more.
Key app features:
- Grades — access grades on the go
- Schedule — look up class schedule on the go
- Campus map — find campus buildings
- Notifications — find account holds, if any
- EMU News feed — find out what’s happening at EMU
- Twitter — see what EMU is tweeting about.
The app is available on a mobile device’s app store. Search for and install “Ellucian Go”.
Once downloaded, select Eastern Michigan University. When prompted, students are asked to enter their my.emich user name and password. For more information, go to http://www.emich.edu/emumobile.
20% OFF SALE AT THE EMU CAMPUS BOOKSTORE: The EMU Bookstore is having a "Friends and Fans" sale with 20% off your purchase Wednesday, Dec. 11 to Thursday, Dec. 12. This is a great opportunity to complete your holiday shopping or pickup a graduation gift. Click on the website link for the details at http://follett.mobilewebs.biz/landing/Follett/friendsAndFans/ or text 0976 to TEXTBK (839825) to opt-in to our mobile device network. For more information, please call 483-2850 or visit www.emichshop.com and facebook.com/emubookstore.
NEW HOURS OF OPERATION AT STUDENT BUSINESS SERVICES: The EMU Student Business Services (SBS) office, located in 201 Pierce Hall will close at 4:30 p.m. daily. The service window located at 203 Pierce Hall will remain open for assistance with collections, third-party and Eagle Card services until 5 p.m. Service EMU is open for account questions as scheduled. Payments can be made online 24/7 at ebill.emich.edu or with a check and money order at Service EMU in the Student Center and also in the drop box in front of Pierce Hall. These payments will be processed the next business day. The new SBS hours will be:
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays - 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Thursdays -9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Please contact EMU_Ebill@emich.edu with any questions.
YEAR-END GIFTS: The end of the year is quickly approaching and The Foundation is asking for your assistance so that they can process year-end gifts in a timely manner. If you have any checks delivered to your office, be sure to include the envelope when sending them to the EMU Foundation for receipting. The IRS requires EMU to prove delivery by Tuesday, Dec. 31 in order to process a 2013 tax receipt. All gifts that arrive to individual departments during the holidays should be delivered to the EMU Foundation on or before the end of the business day, Monday, Jan. 6, to receive a 2013 tax receipt. Please direct any questions to Cherie Burkheiser, Midge Elkins or Garima Sharma at The Foundation at 484-1322.
2014 UNDERGRADUATE SYMPOSIUM — NOMINATE!: The nomination site at www.emich.edu/symposium/nomination is open to students through January 15, 2014. Why should students present their research at the March 28, 2014 Undergraduate Symposium? Go to Kerri Musick's EMUblog post: http://blogemu.com/kerris-konsciousness-undergraduate-symposium/ and find out. For more information, contact email@example.com.
EMU PUBLIC SAFETY TIPS AND REMINDERS: The EMU Police Department facilitates a variety of community service programs focused on safety awareness for our residential halls, classrooms and campus. These include crime prevention seminars, and training sessions and programs on sexual assault and alcohol awareness for faculty, staff and students.
EMU Police use high visibility foot patrols, mobile patrols, bicycle patrols and an extensive video monitoring system to help deter crime. It is important to report crimes or suspicious activities immediately -- police have a better opportunity to apprehend suspects and solve crimes. Please review the information below and report any crimes or any suspicious activities. Reporting a crime or suspicious activity can be done anonymously.
- To report an incident, or information anonymously, please call 487-4847 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call Crime Stoppers at (800) SPEAKUP (800) 773-2587 or email at www.1800speakup.org or visit the Crime Stoppers homepage.
- For more information on public safety, please visit the EMU Public Safety Tips homepage.
- EMU publishes a Daily Crime Log of all crimes reported to the EMU Department of Public Safety. This information can be viewed at EMU Daily Crime Log homepage. EMU also publishes the Daily Crime Log for the City of Ypsilanti.
- Online, real-time crime mapping covering EMU and the City of Ypsilanti is available at: http://geodata.acad.emich.edu/Crime/Main.htm.
Telephone numbers and email accounts listed above are set-up specifically for those who wish to report a crime or information related to a crime. Your identity will remain anonymous.
For questions pertaining to EMU Safety Tips or crime prevention, please contact Police Officer Candace Dorsey, Crime Prevention Coordinator at 487-0987 or by email at email@example.com. The Crime Prevention office is located within the EMU Police Department at 1200 Oakwood Street. Police Dispatch at 487-1222. For emergencies, call 911.
MIOSHA TRAINING SESSION FOR EMPLOYEES: There will be a MIOSHA training session today, Thursday, Dec. 12, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m., room 300, Halle Library. Please contact Environmental Health & Safety at 487-0794 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
SUBMISSIONS IN EMU TODAY: Please note, EMU TODAY is an internal daily e-blast sent to faculty and staff. To submit an announcement or post an event, please forward your entry electronically to email@example.com. Please be sure to format your entry with a title and include a description of the event, where the event will be held (room and building), the date and time, and a contact name, phone number and/or e-mail address. For questions, contact Debra Johnson at 487-2484.
NOTE: An asterisk denotes a new item.