Lectures & Presentations
ORAL DISSERTATION DEFENSE: Ali Aghamohammadi, from the College of Technology will defend his dissertation titled "A Novel Defense Mechanism against Web Crawler Intrusion," on
Tuesday, September 24, 2 - 4 p.m., in room 206, Sill Hall.
ORAL DEFENSE: Sarah Terrell, from the College of Technology will defend her dissertation titled "Using Social Ecological Theory to Determine Worksite Wellness Programming Barriers Within a Private Midwestern Higher Education Setting," on Wednesday, September 25, 2 - 4 p.m., in room 206, Sill Hall.
TALK ON "THE MEANING OF (GAY) MARRIAGE": As part of the 2013-2014 Philosophy Speaker Series, EMU welcomes John Corvino on Wednesday, September 25, 5:30 - 7 p.m., in room 310A in the Student Center. In his talk, Corvino, a Wayne State University professor, and author of What's Wrong with Homosexuality? and co-author of Debating Same-Sex Marriage, will explain some of the philosophical debates surrounding the issue and critique the "new natural law" position, increasingly popular among social conservatives. With over a dozen states permitting same-sex marriage, several others considering it, and dozens of others banning it, the issue remains controversial. Yet it also invites some important questions--about the role of the state, the needs of children and the meaning of marriage itself. For questions, please contact Peter Higgins at 487-0419 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* LECTURE ON MUSLIM IMMIGRANTS TO THE U.S.: As part of the Muslim Journeys series, EMU professor Kristine Ajrouch will speak on "Muslim Immigrants to the U.S.," on Wednesday, September 25, 7 - 9 p.m., room 300, Halle Library. There will be a Q & A session afterwards. The event is free, LBC approved and open to the public. Please visit the Muslin Journeys homepage for more information or contact Lisa Klopfer at 487-2521 or email at email@example.com.
EMU'S AMERICAN MARKETING ASSOCIATION MEETING: The College of Business will host the following meetings with guest speakers:
- Wayne Brannon, from Volkswagen on Monday, September 30, 4 p.m. in room 110 in the COB.
- Matt Warren, from Domino's on Wednesday, October 2, 4 p.m. in room 110 in the COB.
- Laneisha Gann, from Quicken Loans on Wednesday, October 9, 4 pm. in room 110 in the COB.
- Tour of Quicken Loans on Friday, October 11. Further details will be forthcoming.
- Jennifer Whitted, a small business owner on Wednesday, October 16, 4 p.m. in room 110 in the COB.
Please visit College of Business Events homepage to see the complete list of events. For questions or additional information, please contact Lindsey Gothard at 734-891-0441 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BOARD OF REGENTS MEETING: The EMU Board of Regents will hold its October board meeting on Tuesday, October 1, at 1:30 p.m., in room 201, Welch Hall. Below is the schedule for the committee meetings. All meetings are in Welch Hall.
- Educational Policies: 8:30 - 9:15 a.m., Room 205
- Athletic Affairs: 8:30 - 9:15 a.m., Room 201
- Faculty Affairs: 9:30 - 10:15 a.m., Room 205
- Student Affairs: 10:30 - 11:15 a.m., Room 201
- Finance, Audit and Investment: 11:30 - 12:15 p.m., Room 201
AGING STUDIES PROGRAM PRESENTS ANNUAL FALL LECTURE: The Aging Studies Program will present their annual fall lecture on Wednesday, October 9, 4 - 6 p.m., in Ballroom B in the Student Center. This lecture will trace the evolution of approaches to dementia care as reflected in 1) changing philosophic orientations toward the care of elders with dementia and 2) scientific advancements in nursing and related fields over the past three decades. Major theories and models addressing care of individuals with dementia and management of associated behavioral issues will be reviewed with emphasis on the scientific evidence for them. Thoughts about emerging challenges and opportunities as they may affect the future of dementia care will also be offered. Presented by: Donna Algase, PhD, RN, Associate Dean of Research and Evaluation at the University of Toledo. The event is free. Please contact Andrea Zakrajsek with any questions at 487-3220 or email@example.com.