Eastern Michigan University Seal

Policies, Rules and Regulations

Chapter Name: Academic Programs and Requirements

Chapter No.

Issue: Undergraduate Grades and Academic Progress

Effective Date: 10-18-1978

Revision Date: 11-01-2016


For purposes of determining class levels, the following hours classifications are used:

Class Semester Credit Hours
Freshman 0 - 24
Sophomore 25 - 55
Junior 56 - 84
Senior 85 or over


The grades used by the University with their corresponding values in points are as follows:

Letter Grades Grade Point Values  
         A         4.0
       A H    4.0 A with Honors Credit
         A-         3.7  
       A-H    3.7 A- with Honors Credit
         B+         3.3
       B+H         3.3 B+ with Honors Credit
         B         3.0
       B H         3.0 B with Honors Credit
         B-         2.7
       B-H         2.7 B- with Honors Credit
         C+         2.3
         C         2.0
         C-         1.7
         D+         1.3
         D         1.0
         D-         0.7
         E          0
Replaced with "F" effective fall 2012
         F          0 Effective fall 2012
         N          0 No Grade Submitted
      AUD          0 Grade in audit elections
       CR          0 Passing grade in Credit/No Credit courses
       NC          0

No credit awarded in Credit/No Credit courses

         S          0 Passing grade in Pass/Fail elections
         U          0 Failing grade in Pass/Fail elections
       SC          0 Passing grade in student teaching with certification
       PN          0 Passing grade in student teaching but not sufficient for certification
       UN          0 Failing grade in student teaching course
      2YR          0 Academic forgiveness; no credit


Credits earned by student teaching, credit/no credit classes or pass-fail options are not accorded grade point values.

Credit for a course in which the grades of "E", "F" or "U" have been received can be earned only by repeating the course.


The grade of "W" will be assigned only when an official withdrawal has been completed. If a student discontinues attending a class without officially withdrawing from a class, the grade of "F" will be assigned.


An "I" is awarded only when a student's work has been of acceptable quality ("C" or better), but the required amount has not been completed because of illness, necessary absence or other satisfactory reasons.  It is never applied to poor work or to nonattendance of class by the student. It is the responsibility of the student to request an incomplete from the instructor prior to submission of grades for the course, and to provide the reason and, if requested, supporting documentation for the request. If the instructor is satisfied that the reason and documentation provided are sufficient and that the conditions above are met, he/she should provide a description in writing of the work to be completed and the deadline for completion; copies should be provided to the student and to the department head. The deadline for completion can be no later than one year from the end of the semester in which the course was taught.

An "IP" ("In Progress") is assigned to all students in a course or section that continues past the end of the semester. This grade does not apply to independent/directed studies courses or to individual students seeking an incomplete (I) grade. Once assigned, the "IP" has the same effect and is subject to the same rules and deadlines as the "I".

An "I" grade must be removed within one calendar year from the end of the semester or session in which that grade was given.  The time for removal of an "I" may be extended upon written recommendation of the instructor and approval by the dean of the college.  Such extension will be granted only under unusual circumstances. The initiative for conversion of an "I' to a letter grade rests with the student. However, the instructor may submit a change of grade without further notification if the student had not completed the required work by the deadline specified by the instructor.

When a letter grade (excluding "I" for incomplete or "IP" for in progress) is posted to a student's transcript it will be considered final unless an error in calculating the grade is discovered. Permitting a student to submit missing work or extra credit to improve a grade is not an acceptable reason for changing a grade.

Change from "I" or "IP" do not require department head or dean signatures if submitted within one year of the end of the course. After one year the student must provide an explanation of why the course work could not be completed within one year as required by university policy; the extension will be granted only if both the instructor and the dean approve, and both signatures are required to change an "I" or "IP" beyond one year.


If a calculation or grading error is identified, the instructor must file a grade change form explaining the error. This form requires approval of the department head, and the appropriate dean will review and approve grade changes to ensure consistency with academic policies. All changes in letter grades (excluding "I" or "IP" that are converted within one year) will require the signature of the dean of the college.

Any attempt to change an individual grade or to convert an "I" must be initiated no later than one year following the semester or session in which the grade was given. An extension beyond this limitation may be permitted only by the dean of the college in which the course was taken. Such extensions will be granted only on verifiable evidence of emergency circumstances, such as serious illness or military obligation, which prevented the petitioner from acting during the prescribed period.

All grades are final three years following the end of the close of the term or at time of degree conferral, whichever is first; no grade changes will be made, and "I" and "IP" grades cannot be converted past that point without the approval of the Provost or his/her designee.


The EMU Grade Point Average is determined by taking the total number of grade point values acquired and dividing by the total number of semester hours taken which carry grade point values. The University may establish rules allowing students to repeat a limited number of courses to exclude earlier grades from the calculation of the EMU grade point average. If students repeat courses outside the limitations of that policy, each attempt and each grade for the course will be included in the calculation.

The Academic Division may establish a policy of grade forgiveness (or "academic bankruptcy") in some courses for students who return to Eastern Michigan University after an absence of two or more years. The affected courses will remain on the student's transcript with a designation indicating that this policy has been applied and the grade has been removed from the calculation of the EMU Grade Point Average.


A student may elect to take a course under the Pass/Fail Option for various reasons (e.g. if he/she wishes to experiment in an unfamiliar field without jeopardizing his/her grade point average.) Under these circumstances, the limiting features of the option are as follows: 

  1. It may be exercised only by juniors and seniors in good standing. 
  2. It may be applied only to free electives, that is, to courses that are outside the student's major, minor, curriculum or general education requirements. 
  3. A maximum of six such courses may be applied toward graduation. 
  4. The student shall indicate his/her intention to take a course under the Pass/Fail Option at the time of registration.
  5. Students who elect a course on Pass/Fail may cancel the option and accept a letter grade up to the last day of class before the official University scheduled final examinations. 
  6. The instructor will not be notified of the student's election of this option. The regular letter grade reported by the instructor will be recorded on grade reports and transcripts as follows: 

    a.  Grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D-, will be converted to S, and shall count as credit toward graduation (if it is at the 100 level or higher). 

    b.  The grade of F will be converted to U and shall not count toward graduation. 
  7. A course taken under this option shall not be used in any way in the computation of the student's grade point average. Thus a Pass/Fail-election shall not be approved for a course in which the student previously received a letter grade. 


A student may be permitted to enroll in a course as an auditor, that is, one who merely attends class to "hear" or visit. No credit is awarded for an audit.

Subject to the approval of the head of the department offering the course, students wishing to audit a course must register for it just as for any other class, and then also turn in at registration a "permission to audit" card with the required approval.

The student's intention to audit a course rather than to take it for credit must be established at the time of registration. Shifting from credit to audit or from audit to credit is not permitted after the last day that classes may be added or sections changed.

Tuition and fees for enrolling in courses for audit are the same as for enrolling in courses for credit.

Under provisions of the University staff benefits program, full-time staff, faculty, and faculty spouses may "audit" classes without regular registration by completing an approval process initiated at the Staff Benefits office.

Except for a staff benefits audit, no person is allowed to attend class unless officially registered on a credit or audit basis with appropriate fees paid.



Authority for Creation or Revision:

Minutes of the Board of Regents, September 20, 2011
Minutes of the Board of Regents, October 30, 2012
Minutes of the Board of Regents, November 1, 2016