- The LiveYpsi Program was created in 2012 to assist employees of EMU to purchase a home in the City of Ypsilanti or parts of Ypsilanti Township. The program was expanded in 2013 to include eligible employees of the EMU Foundation, and expanded again in 2016 to include a broader geographic region in Ypsilanti Township.
- Eligible employees are regular employees of EMU or the EMU Foundation with an appointment of 50% or more.
- An eligible employee purchasing an eligible property may receive a forgivable loan of $5,000 or $10,000 (depending on the location of the property) to assist with the purchase of the home. Eligible expenses include down payment, moving expenses, and renovations to the home.
- For each year the employee complies with the Program terms (which include remaining an eligible employee, living in the eligible property, and timely paying property taxes), 20% of the loan is forgiven.
- After five years, the entire loan is forgiven, along with all accrued interest.
- The Program is funded by EMU and Washtenaw County, with seed funding provided by DTE Foundation.