Eastern Michigan University
Apply to be a McNair Scholar!
Membership in the McNair Scholars Program is challenging, but the rewards are great! You will develop new skills, gain confidence in yourself, make great friends, build an impressive resume, have the opportunity to travel, present your research and interact with caring faculty and staff who are dedicated to your success. Our graduates are building academic and professional lives around the world, and we pledge to open the world to you, too!
The ideal McNair Scholar is goal-oriented, disciplined, creative and inquisitive. McNair Scholars enjoy learning and are willing to listen and grow through their interaction with their mentors, advisors and peers. McNair Scholars take personal pride in completing assignments to the best of their ability, meeting deadlines and balancing their work and academic commitments. They have a vision of themselves as successful professionals and are willing to work to achieve their dreams.
Participant eligibility is limited to students meeting all of the following requirements:
- US citizen or Permanent Resident
- Currently enrolled at EMU
- At least 30 credits completed by the time of application and 12 months prior to graduation
Minimum of 2.85 GPA
- Low income* and first-generation college student OR underrepresented**
- Expect to graduate from EMU with bachelor's degree
- Must have a desire to attain a Ph.D. (Research Doctorate). Please note that an MD or other professional degrees (JD, MBA, PharmD, etc.) are not eligible for the program
* Office of Post Secondary Education Low Income Designations
** African-American, Hispanic, or Native American/Alaskan
Submit a completed application, including a brief essay describing your accomplishments, academic, personal and career goals, and how your participation in the program will advance your goals, official transcripts, financial information and two letters of recommendation with forms to the McNair Scholars Program Office, located in Hoyt Hall room 1011.
- McNair Program Application
- Personal Statement
- Transcripts (unofficial EMU; official, if not EMU)
- Financial Information (Income tax statement or copies of Financial Aid FAFSA forms)
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation from Ph.D. faculty with Recommendation Forms
Selected applicants will be invited to an interview.
**Admission applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
Questions about the application process?
Please call the McNair Scholars Program office at 734.487.8240 or email our McNair Program Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.