- Ph.D., Kinesiology, Michigan State University, 1995
- MS, Kinesiology, University of Illinois, 1986
- BS, Kinesiology, UCLA, 1982
Dr. Riemer is a Professor in the School of Health Promotion and Human Performance and is the graduate coordinator for Sport Management. She has been at EMU since 2005 and is a faculty affiliate for the Women's and Gender Studies Department. Her research areas include gender/sexuality and sport, professional mentoring and goal orientations of sport volunteers and participants. Her current research focuses on how current student athletes interpret Title IX, and how women entrepreneurs are surviving the COVID-19 pandemic. She has earned the Marshall Service award given by the College of Health and Human Services.
- Staurousky, E., Zonder, E.J., & Riemer, B.A. (2017). So, what is Title IX?
Assessing Undergraduate Student & Athlete Knowledge of the Law. Women in Sport and Physical Activity Journal, 25, 30-42.
- Riemer, B.A. (2016). The National Obedience Championship: Increasing Sponsorship and Attendance. In B.G. Pitts (Ed.), Case Studies in Sport Marketing, 2nd edition.
- Riemer, B.A., Zonder, E.J. and Thomas, J.L. (2015). Entrepreneurship and Competitive Dog Sports. Global Sports Business Journal, 3, 16–32.
- Riemer, B.A., Thomas, J.L. and Visio, M. (2007). Goal Orientations and Volunteers. International Journal of Sport Management, 8, 67–79.
- Riemer, B.A. and Thomas, J.L. (2005). Achievement goal orientations in competition dog obedience participants. Journal of Sport Behavior, 28 (3), 272–281.
- Riemer, B.A. and Visio, M.E. (2003). Gender typing of sports: An investigation of Metheny's classification. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 74 (2), 193–204.
- Riemer, B.A., Beal, B. and Schroeder, P. (2000). The influences of peer and university culture on female student athletes: Perceptions of career termination, professionalization, and social isolation. Journal of Sports Behavior, 23, 364–378.
- Riemer, B.A. (1997). Lesbian identity formation and the sporting environment. Women in Sport and Physical Activity Journal, 6, 83–107.
- Riemer, B.A. and Feltz, D.L. (1995). Sport appropriateness and image congruency on the status of female athletes. Women in Sport and Physical Activity Journal, 3, 1–10.
- Riemer, B.A., Zonder, E.J. & Schumacher, J. (2020). Recognizing and Reporting Sexual Harassment: Does Training Make a Difference? Presented at the Global Sports Business Association Conference, February.
- Riemer, B.A., Zonder, E.J. & Schumacher, J. (2019). Sexual Harassment in the sport workplace: Athletic trainers and the link between education and reporting. Presented at the North American Society for the Sociology of Sport Conference, November.
- Christy, K., Zonder, E., Houghton, E., & Riemer, B.A. (2019). Sport management clubs and their relationship to sport management student success. Poster presented at the Applied Sport Management Conference, Nashville, TN.
- Riemer, B.A. (2018, November). Transformation and metamorphosis. Presented at the North American Society for the Sociology of Sport, November, Vancouver, Canada.
- Riemer, B.A., Zonder, E.J., & Rode, C. (2018, March). Sport tourism and runDisney: An analysis of participant motivations through achievement goal orientations. Poster presented at the Sport Entertainment and Venues Tomorrow Conference (SEVT), Columbia, S.C.
- Riemer, B.A. & Visio, M. (2018, March). Perceptions of the sport management major by
collegiate students. Presented at the Global Sport Business Association Conference, Cozumel, Mexico.
- Grappendorf, H., Riemer, B.A., & Pitts, B. (2018, March). Teaching and supporting in the age of Trump. Presented at the Global Sport Business Association Conference, Cozumel, Mexico.
- Zonder, E.J. & Riemer, B.A. (2018, March). Title VII and sex discrimination: A
remedy for college coaches facing sexual orientation discrimination? Presented at the Sport and Recreation Law Association Conference, San Antonio, TX.
- Knoppers, A., Staurowsky, E., & Riemer, B.A. (2017, June). Rethinking the use of feminist theories in sport management research and teaching in the age of Hillary. Presented at the North American Society for Sport Management, Denver, CO.
- Riemer, B.A., Pitts, B., & Grappendorf, H. (2017, February). Educating beyond from
multiple perspectives: Creating global experiences for sport management students. Presented at the Global Sports Business Association Conference, Cozumel, Mexico.
- Riemer, B.A. & Zonder, E.J. (2016, November). The Ethics of Coaching “Whales”. Presented at the North American Society for the Sociology of Sport, Tampa, FL.
- SMGT 255 Sport Leadership
- SMGT 265 Sport Sociology
- SMGT 425 Diversity in Sport Organizations
- WGST 202 Introduction to Gender and Sexuality
- SMGT 502 Introduction to Athletic Administration
- SMGT 562 Facilities Planning and Management
- SMGT 566 Financial Administration of Physical Education and Athletics
- SMGT 560 Sport Ethics
- SMGT 567 Sport in American Society
- PHED 665 Sport and Exercise Psychology