How to Add/Edit Your Preferred Name and Pronoun

If you are a student, you can add and edit your preferred (first) name and/or pronoun from My.Emich.

Note: If you add a preferred name and would like an updated Student ID card that reflects this change (along with your legal name, on the back of the card), there will be a fee of $20. Student ID cards can be obtained one (1) business day after submission, from Eagle Card Services - 203 Pierce Hall.

If you would like your preferred name to be reflected in your email address, you can request an alias email address by filling out this form.

Follow these directions to add or edit your preferred name and/or pronoun:

  1. Navigate to My.Emich ( and log in with your NetID credentials (formerly your My.Emich username and password).
  2. The my.emich page is displayed. Click the Student tab.
  3. The Student Services menu is displayed. Click the Personal Information tab and then the Update Preferred Name and Pronoun link.
    Personal info menu
  4. The Update Preferred Name and Pronoun page is displayed. Add or edit your preferred name and/or pronoun.
    Update preferred page.
  5. When you are finished, click the "I have read..." checkbox to display the Submit button.
  6. Click the Submit button.
    Preferred page Submit.
  7. A submit message is displayed.
    Submit message.