WELCOME TO THE EMU COMMUNITY - PRESIDENT'S PICNIC: EMU Interim President, Provost and Executive Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs Kim Schatzel invites all members of the EMU community to enjoy a FREE welcome picnic on Wednesday, Sept. 9 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on the north side of Welch Hall. During the event, guests will be invited to tour the new offices in McKenny Hall.
The picnic will feature Asian-style take-out boxes with your choice of beverage. Chicken and vegan options will be available. Walk steps away to enjoy delicious and assorted dessert as you tour the new McKenny offices and renovated spaces including Alumni Relations, the Brehm Dining Room, EMU Foundation, Service EMU and Transfer EMU. Each location will feature a different dessert so don't forget to check out the new spaces.
Visit the University Marketing tables to win EMU prizes and hang out with Swoop, the Cheer team and the Dance team. For more information, contact Kelly Brennan at 487-8898 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* EMU INTERNAL PHOTOGRAPHY RESOURCES: The Division of Communications has created a new online Photography Request Form to be used for internal EMU photography requests. Photography requests should enhance the University’s image and assist in overall marketing and recruitment efforts. Photography requests will be evaluated based on their impact on student recruitment and how the photos will be used to promote Eastern. Submission does not guarantee availability of a photographer and all requests must be made at least five business days in advance. To submit a request for any photography service, please use the Photography Request Form. For questions, please contact Darcy Gifford at email@example.com.
SPECIAL HOURS FOR THE UNIVERSITY HEALTH SERVICES & PHARMACY: The EMU University Health Services (UHS) and Pharmacy will be closed on Friday, Aug. 28 and on Wednesday, Sept. 2, the UHS and Pharmacy will open at 1 p.m. On Friday, Sept. 4, the UHS and Pharmacy will have shortened hours due to the annual Open House and Vaccination Clinic. Hours will be 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. For questions, please contact the Snow Health Center at 487-1122.
FACULTY AND STAFF SUPPORT NEEDED: Many of the impactful student experiences at EMU are successful because of the faculty and staff volunteers that support them. Please take a look at the requests for support below, and consider engaging with one or more of these opportunities to impact our students’ experience.
- Call for Move-In Ambassadors: EMU Housing & Residence Life would like to invite all faculty and staff to join them on Friday, Sept. 4, from 8:30 - 11 a.m. Each year, faculty and staff play a critical role as many first-year students and their families are coming to college for the first time. Housing & Residence Life is seeking available EMU faculty and staff to be a welcoming first contact as our new community members arrive on campus. This means helping give directions, talking to students and parents, and spreading the meaning of what it means to be TRUEMU! Please RSVP to Clifford Camp, Area Complex Director for Housing & Residence Life at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, Aug. 21.
- Welcome Tents Volunteers: Welcome students back to campus by volunteering at one of Campus Life's welcome tents on Tuesday, Sept. 8 or Wednesday, Sept. 9. You will provide assistance and answer questions, give directions and hand out information to tent passersby. There are two-hour shifts scheduled between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on both days. Please sign up for a shift via this linked form: https://goo.gl/uLfhVl. For more information, please contact Caroline Horste, email@example.com or 487-4047.
- Faculty Student Success Mixer: Diversity and Community Involvement invites all faculty and staff to participate in this year's L.I.V.E. Welcome Week Faculty Student Success Mixer on Thursday, Sept. 10 from 3 - 6 p.m. in room 310 at the Student Center, L.I.V.E. is a series of events designed to engage incoming first-generation students and students of color to assist them with their transition to college. One of the factors that helps first-generation students succeed in the classroom is developing relationships with faculty and professional staff. The Mixer gives faculty and staff the opportunity to interact with incoming first-gens and students of color. If you would like to participate, please RSVP to Dar Mayweather, firstname.lastname@example.org or 487-2277.
- Call for Meijer Mania volunteers: Volunteers are needed to help out with the Meijer Mania event on Thursday, Sept. 10 from 7 - 10 p.m. Shifts are from 7 - 8:30 p.m. or 8:30 - 10 p.m. Volunteer duties include: assisting vendors in product/freebie distribution, floating in specific areas of the store to deter 'negative behavior' and generally having fun! This event has an estimated 4,000 EMU students in attendance and is a fun time for all. To volunteer or for questions, please contact Eric Ward, email@example.com or call 487-3806.
- Call for Icebreaker Volunteers: Campus Life is seeking graduate student, faculty and staff volunteer assistance for the annual NPHC Icebreaker Dance on Thursday, Sept. 10 in the McKenny Ballroom to help manage the entry/admission/traffic flow process. Please sign up for a shift via this linked form: https://goo.gl/CDdfFa. For more information, please contact Casey Krone, firstname.lastname@example.org or 487-5569.
- Call for Homecoming Student Tailgate Volunteers: Campus Life is seeking graduate student, faculty and staff volunteer assistance for the annual Homecoming Student Organization Tailgate on Saturday, Oct. 10. Volunteers at this event help manage the entry/admission/traffic flow process. Please sign up for a shift via this linked form: https://goo.gl/zJ6Ejt. For more information, contact Kate Curley, email@example.com or 487-9322.
- Call for Student Org Leadership Summit facilitators: Campus Life is seeking Student Organization Advisors interested in volunteering tol be trained to facilitate a group of 10 student org leaders as they engage in discussion and dialogue at an off campus site on Friday, Oct. 23 at 9 a.m. through Sunday, Oct. 25. Help support the success of our student leaders’ and their organizations. Food, transportation, housing and a small stipend will be provided to our facilitators. To volunteer or for more information, please contact Kate Curley, firstname.lastname@example.org or 487-9322.
- Call for Multicultural Graduation Participants: The Center for Multicultural Affairs invites all faculty and staff to participate in this semester's Multicultural Graduation Celebration on Friday, Dec. 18 at 3 p.m. in the Student Center Grand Ballroom. The Multicultural Graduation Celebration brings our diverse student body together to celebrate the commonalities and differences that characterize the experiences of underrepresented students at EMU. The ceremony acknowledges the value and uniqueness of our underrepresented student experiences and serves to commemorate their accomplishments. If you would like to participate, please RSVP to Dar Mayweather, email@example.com or 487-2277.
PUBLIC VISITATION AND FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR YVONNE CALLAWAY: Visitation for Yvonne Callaway, professor of counseling at EMU will be held today, Aug. 26 from 3 – 8 p.m. at the Swanson Funeral Home, located at 14751 W. McNichols, Detroit, MI 48235. Funeral services will be held on Thursday, Aug. 27 at the Romulus Community Baptist Church, located at 6200 Fourth Street, Romulus, MI. Family hour will be at 10 a.m. and the funeral at 11 a.m. In lieu of flowers, the family would like contributions be sent to sponsor scholarships in honor of Yvonne Callaway at Equipped homepage. For further information, visit the Swanson Funeral Home homepage.
DISABILITY RESOURCE CENTER CLOSED DURING THE MORNING FOR ORIENTATION: The Disability Resource Center Office and the DRC Test Center (formerly The C.A.T.E. Lab), will be closed for orientation during the morning today, Aug. 27 and will reopen at 12:30 p.m. If you need to meet or schedule an appointment with an advisor, please call 487-2470 and leave a voicemail message and we will return calls during the afternoon.
ADD AN EVENT TO THE EMU EVENT CALENDAR: To submit an event to be posted on the EMU event calendar, click on Submit an Event, or go to the EMU homepage, click on "calendars," then click the green button labeled "Submit an Event" (located on the bottom left) and enter your event information. All events are subject to approval.
SUBMISSIONS FOR POSTING IN EMU TODAY: EMU Today is an internal daily e-blast sent to the faculty and staff. To submit an announcement or post an event, please forward your entry electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to format your entry with a title and include a description of the event, where the event will be held (room and building), the date and time, and a contact name, phone number and/or e-mail address. For questions, contact Debra Johnson at 487-2484 or email at email@example.com.
NOTE: An asterisk denotes a new item.