* FACULTY AND STAFF SUPPORT NEEDED: Many of the impactful student experiences at EMU are successful because of the faculty and staff volunteers that support them. Please take a look at the requests for support below, and consider engaging with one or more of these opportunities to impact our students’ experience.
- Call for Move-In Ambassadors: EMU Housing & Residence Life would like to invite all faculty and staff to join them on Friday, Sept. 4, from 8:30 - 11 a.m. Each year, faculty and staff play a critical role as many first-year students and their families are coming to college for the first time. Housing & Residence Life is seeking available EMU faculty and staff to be a welcoming first contact as our new community members arrive on campus. This means helping give directions, talking to students and parents, and spreading the meaning of what it means to be TRUEMU! Please RSVP to Clifford Camp, Area Complex Director for Housing & Residence Life at email@example.com by Friday, Aug. 21.
- Call for Courtesy Cart Drivers: First Four New Student Orientation is seeking faculty/staff volunteers to be golf cart drivers, assisting new students and their families as they navigate our campus on Friday, Sept. 4. Shifts are from 8:30 - 11 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. This includes a brief training on golf cart and radio operation, and volunteers are invited to lunch immediately following their shift. For more information or to sign up for a shift, please contact Brooke Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org or 487-1208.
- Call for Faculty "Life in the Classroom” Facilitators: This faculty led First Four New Student Orientation session takes place on Saturday, Sept. 5, with sessions from 10 - 11 a.m., and from 11:15 a.m to 12:15 p.m., with a brief session from 9 - 9:45 a.m. This is a very easy, turn-key operation with talking points, and handouts provided. Any interested faculty/academic administrators can contact Amy Barnhart, email@example.com or 487-2265.
- Welcome Tents Volunteers: Welcome students back to campus by volunteering at one of Campus Life's welcome tents on Tuesday, Sept. 8 or Wednesday, Sept. 9. You will provide assistance and answer questions, give directions and hand out information to tent passersby. There are two-hour shifts scheduled between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on both days. Please sign up for a shift via this linked form: https://goo.gl/uLfhVl. For more information, please contact Caroline Horste, firstname.lastname@example.org or 487-4047.
- Faculty Student Success Mixer: Diversity and Community Involvement invites all faculty and staff to participate in this year's L.I.V.E. Welcome Week Faculty Student Success Mixer on Thursday, Sept. 10 from 3 - 6 p.m. in room 310 at the Student Center, L.I.V.E. is a series of events designed to engage incoming first-generation students and students of color to assist them with their transition to college. One of the factors that helps first-generation students succeed in the classroom is developing relationships with faculty and professional staff. The Mixer gives faculty and staff the opportunity to interact with incoming first-gens and students of color. If you would like to participate, please RSVP to Dar Mayweather, email@example.com or 487-2277.
- Call for Meijer Mania volunteers: Volunteers are needed to help out with the Meijer Mania event on Thursday, Sept. 10 from 7 - 10 p.m. Shifts are from 7 - 8:30 p.m. or 8:30 - 10 p.m. Volunteer duties include: assisting vendors in product/freebie distribution, floating in specific areas of the store to deter 'negative behavior' and generally having fun! This event has an estimated 4,000 EMU students in attendance and is a fun time for all. To volunteer or for questions, please contact Eric Ward, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 487-3806.
- Call for Icebreaker Volunteers: Campus Life is seeking graduate student, faculty and staff volunteer assistance for the annual NPHC Icebreaker Dance on Friday, Sept. 11 to help manage the entry/admission/traffic flow process. Tentatively scheduled for Bowen Fieldhouse. Please sign up for a shift via this linked form: https://goo.gl/CDdfFa. For more information, please contact Casey Krone, email@example.com or 487-5569.
- Call for Homecoming Student Tailgate Volunteers: Campus Life is seeking graduate student, faculty and staff volunteer assistance for the annual Homecoming Student Organization Tailgate on Saturday, Oct. 10. Volunteers at this event help manage the entry/admission/traffic flow process. Please sign up for a shift via this linked form: https://goo.gl/zJ6Ejt. For more information, contact Kate Curley, firstname.lastname@example.org or 487-9322.
- Call for Student Org Leadership Summit facilitators: Campus Life is seeking Student Organization Advisors interested in volunteering tol be trained to facilitate a group of 10 student org leaders as they engage in discussion and dialogue at an off campus site on Friday, Oct. 23 at 9 a.m. through Sunday, Oct. 25. Help support the success of our student leaders’ and their organizations. Food, transportation, housing and a small stipend will be provided to our facilitators. To volunteer or for more information, please contact Kate Curley, email@example.com or 487-9322.
- Call for Multicultural Graduation Participants: The Center for Multicultural Affairs invites all faculty and staff to participate in this semester's Multicultural Graduation Celebration on Friday, Dec. 18 at 3 p.m. in the Student Center Grand Ballroom. The Multicultural Graduation Celebration brings our diverse student body together to celebrate the commonalities and differences that characterize the experiences of underrepresented students at EMU. The ceremony acknowledges the value and uniqueness of our underrepresented student experiences and serves to commemorate their accomplishments. If you would like to participate, please RSVP to Dar Mayweather, firstname.lastname@example.org or 487-2277.
TEMPORARY SHUTDOWN OF ELEVATOR IN MAIN PARKING STRUCTURE: The main parking structure's elevator will be temporarily shutdown on Friday, Aug. 7 around 7:30 a.m. for routine maintenance. The elevator should be back open by 4:30 p.m.
EMU SENSITIVE DATA GUIDE IS NOW AVAILABLE: Do you routinely work with birthdates, credit cards, student grades, class schedules, research data or other regulated or sensitive data? The EMU Sensitive Data Guide is now available to help you easily determine where you can store (or transmit) particular types of sensitive data.
The guide uses a simple matrix format to display the information. Along the left column, different types of sensitive data are identified (such as “Student Education Records”). Along the top row, different systems commonly in use at EMU are identified (such as “EagleMail”). All column and row headers are hyperlinks to more detailed information about that specific type of sensitive data or EMU storage/communication system. The guide can be found at Sensitive Data Guide or by going to the Information Technology page on the EMU website, and then clicking “Security” in the menu bar. Questions or suggestions about this online guide can be addressed to Rocky Jenkins email@example.com or 487-3145.
SNOW HEALTH CENTER PHARMACY WILL BE CLOSED AUG. 3-7: The Snow Pharmacy will be closed Monday, Aug. 3 - Friday, Aug. 7. Please plan around this closure period for your prescription needs. Contact Jerry Vidis at 487-1125 or at firstname.lastname@example.org or email the pharmacy at email@example.com with any questions.
BECOME A 2015 CREATIVE FACULTY FELLOW: The Creative Science Inquiry Experience (CSIE) program is now accepting applications for the Faculty Fellowship program. All instructors are eligible (Part-Time and Full-Time Lecturers, Tenure-Track and Tenured faculty). The application deadline is September 8. For more information or to apply, go to the Creative Faculty Fellow Application or for questions, please contact the FDC at 487-2530.
ESP TRAINING: Is your SmartPhone secure? Is your phone configured so that you could locate it if lost or stolen? Is your phone configured to connect to EMU Secure Wireless? Do you have a passcode set to prevent a thief from quickly accessing your photos and information? To learn steps to secure your mobile device, sign up for an Eagle Security Package (ESP) session. In a 2 hour training session you will install and be trained on EMU provided software, Duo (2-factor authentication) and LastPass (encrypted password vault). You’ll also receive advice on other ways you can keep your data secure. Sign up for a session at ESP Training Sign Up. Questions or concerns may be directed to Rocky Jenkins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 487-3145.
RESUME REVIEW DROP-IN: Faculty and staff are encouraged to let their students know about the Resume Review Drop-in today, Aug. 3 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. in room 202 in Halle Library. Students can get help with their resume, cover letters or personal statement. For questions or more information, call 487-0400.
ADD AN EVENT TO THE EMU EVENT CALENDAR: To submit an event to be posted on the EMU event calendar, click on Submit an Event, or go to the EMU homepage, click on "calendars," then click the green button labeled "Submit an Event" (located on the bottom left) and enter your event information. All events are subject to approval.
SUBMISSIONS FOR POSTING IN EMU TODAY: EMU Today is an internal daily e-blast sent to the faculty and staff. To submit an announcement or post an event, please forward your entry electronically to email@example.com. Please be sure to format your entry with a title and include a description of the event, where the event will be held (room and building), the date and time, and a contact name, phone number and/or e-mail address. For questions, contact Debra Johnson at 487-2484 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: An asterisk denotes a new item.