Normalites, Hurons, and Eagles have gathered over the years to share in the traditions and rich history of Eastern Michigan University. Traditions not only pass through each graduating class, but strengthened through numerous generations -- continuing a family legacy.
In 1970, a scholarship was established to honor the children and grandchildren of EMU alumni. The amount has grown throughout the years, however, each award is $1,250 and is good for the academic school year (fall and winter semester). Help us to continue the legacy by making a gift to the Alumni Legacy Scholarship Fund. Your gift will help us grow the number of scholarships awarded in the future.
To be considered for the legacy scholarship, each applicant must:
- Have a parent or grandparent who graduated from EMU.
- Be admitted to EMU with full-time status (undergraduate, graduate, or transfer student).
- Submit a complete application.
- Write a 300 word essay, describing what it means to you to be an EMU legacy.
- Provide a written letter of recommendation from a non-family member.
- Provide a resume that outlines work history, awards/honors, extracurricular activities, and volunteer experience. (Sample Resume)
- Provide official transcripts reflecting at least a 3.2 cumulative GPA from your most recent institution. If you have already been admitted to EMU or are a current EMU student, your transcripts/GPA will be pulled through the EMU Admissions Office.
- Recipients of the scholarship must maintain a 3.2 cumulative GPA and be enrolled as a full-time student both semesters (fall and winter) when the scholarship is received.
Please note, demonstration of financial need is not a requirement for the scholarship.
Applications will be received for the 2021-2022 academic school year beginning on December 15, 2020 through March 30, 2021. This scholarship application will close on Tuesday, March 30 at 5pm.