(Virtual) Waterborne Coatings: Technology Formulations & Applications
Date: May 25-28, 2021
Course Fee: $1,125
Instructor: Vijay Mannari, Ph.D.
This course is specifically designed to provide a detailed understanding of the technology of waterborne resins and waterborne coatings. Putting in perspective with other coating technologies, the course focuses on the chemistry, technology and applications of waterborne resins and how they are used for coatings. The challenges of using water in coatings and how these challenges have been overcome will be discussed in detail. Waterborne coatings based on acrylics, urethanes, epoxies, alkyds will be presented, along with their unique challenges and strengths. Testing and evaluation of properties specific to waterborne coatings will also be discussed. The technical information provided throughout this course will be useful for chemists and technicians working in industries engaged in coating manufacturing, raw material suppliers, R&D, technical services, sales and marketing. It is specifically recommended for formulators, raw material suppliers, end users and quality control personnel.
What you will learn?
- Gain an overall understanding of water-based resins and coating chemistries and formulations
- Obtain a good understanding of water-based resins – acrylic emulsion, polyurethane dispersions and alkyds/epoxy emulsions
- Unique characteristics that make waterborne coatings different from other coating types
- In-depth understanding of the unique aspects specific to water-based coatings – rheology, film formation, defects and the role of additives
- Understanding what it takes to transition from solvent-based to water-based coatings
How water-based coating formulations, testing and applications differ from other coating types
- Introduction and overview of coatings technologies
- Waterborne Coatings: Fundamental Concepts
- Unique features and challenges of using water in coatings
- Film formation fundamentals in waterborne coatings
- Resin systems for waterborne coatings
- Concepts of emulsion, dispersions, water-reducible resin systems
- Waterborne Resin Chemistries: Acrylic, Vinyl Latex, PUDs, Dispersions of PE, Epoxy and Alkyds
- Waterborne coatings – fundamentals and formulation concepts
- Rheology and its applications in coating formulation
- Additives, coating defects and resolution
- Understanding latex paint formulations
- Pigment dispersion and equipment
- Formulation from scratch - waterborne coatings
To enroll in a course, please visit our Polymers and Coatings registration site.