- Ph.D., Michigan State University
- MA, Michigan State University
- Graduate Certificate, Gerontology, Michigan State University
- BA, Interior Design, Adrian College,
- Instructor - 1978 - 1983
- Assistant Professor - 1996 - 2001
- Associate Professor - 2001 - 2009
- Professor - 2009 - present
Dr. Deb taught Interior Design courses for 20 years. She then went to the graduate school and served as the associate dean, interim dean and director for 14 years. She returned to the design faculty in 2013 and then became the interim school director for the newly created School of Visual and Built Environments in 2014. Dr. de Laski-Smith is now serving as the interim school director of TPSM (2015–2016, she served both schools).
Interests and Expertise
Design experience and consulting work focused on residential design, geriatric spaces and special need environments.
Research and teaching interests
- Environments for aging
- Americans with Disabilities Act compliance
Areas of specialization
- Environmental psychology
- Environments for special needs
- IDE 111 Environmental Psychology
- IDE 131 Interior Design Theory
- IDE 121 Interior Design Materials and Components
- IDE 430W Writing for Interior Design
- IDE 510 Environments for Aging & Special Needs
- IDE 610 Interior Design Research Methods
- COT 710 Research Methods
- Thesis or Dissertation support
- de Laski-Smith, D., Margerum-Leys, J. (2010). Using PeopleAdmin to post GA positions. Midwest Association of Graduate Schools, Proceedings of the 66th Annual Meeting, Cincinnati, OH.
- Raleigh, E., de Laski-Smith, D., Augustine, R. (2008). Leadership Roles of the Graduate School in Masterâ€™s Institutions. Midwest Association of Graduate Schools, Proceedings of the 64th Annual Meeting, St. Louis, MO.
- Lee, L. C., Pratt, C., de Laski-Smith, D., Karabenick, S. (1998). The growth of American-born Chinese infants. Nutrition Research.
- Weaverdyck, S., Wittle, A, de Laski-Smith, D. (Jan., 1998). In-place progression: Lessons learned from Huron Woods. Journal of Gerontological Nursing.
- de Laski-Smith, D. (1998). Moving persons with dementia: suggestions for the physical environment to ease the way. Dementia Care Series. Michigan Department of Community Health, Lansing, MI.
- Struble, L., and de Laski-Smith, D. (1998). Moving persons with dementia: suggestions for staff and family to ease the way. Dementia Care Series. Michigan Department of Community Health, Lansing, MI.
- de Laski-Smith, D., and Ames, B.D. (1991). The relationship between person-environment fit and caregiver strain for elderly stroke survivors. Journal of Housing and Society, 18(2), 49–62.
- de Laski-Smith, D. (October, 1989). Person-environment fit and caregiver strain. The Gerontologist, 29, 42A.
- Ames, B.D.; Chenoweth, W.; Bond, J.T.; Periard, M.; de Laski-Smith, D.; Borland, D. (1989). Impact of stroke: An interdisciplinary approach. In Family Caregivers of the Disabled. Detroit, MI: Wayne State University Publication.
- Ames, B.D.; Bond, J.T.; Chenoweth, W.; Borland, D.; Periard, M.; de Laski-Smith, D.; Kratzer, C. (December, 1988). The experience of stroke as a critical life event: Supportive ecosystems for older persons and their families. The Gerontologist, 28.
- de Laski-Smith, D. (1984). Housing the elderly: Intergenerational family settings. Journal of Housing the Elderly, Fall, 2(3).