Standard CTE Certification
The Standard Career & Technical Education (CTE) Certificate [PDF] an authorization from MDE for for teaching in a Michigan approved Career and Technical Education (CTE) program in the occupational area in which the teacher is endorsed. EMU’s program is meant for the following candidates: 1) certified teachers who wish to earn a vocational endorsement, and 2) those without previous certification who wish to teach in a specific occupational area, and have supporting work experience.
EMU offers CTE's in the following occupational areas (the numbers in parenthesis are the corresponding CIP codes):
- Aeronautics/Aviation/Aerospace Science And Technology (49.0101)
- Airframe Technology (47.0607)
- Automobile Technician (Natef Certified) (47.0604)
- Business Administration Management And Operations (52.0299)
- Collision Repair Technician (Natef Certified) (47.0603)
- Computer Programming/Programmer (11.0201)
- Computer Systems Networking And Telecommunication (11.0901)
- Construction Trades (46.0000)
- Cooking And Related Culinary Arts (12.0500)
- Digital/Multimedia And Information Resources Design (11.0801)
- Drafting And Design Technology/Architectural (15.1301)
- Electrical And Power Transmission Installation (46.0301)
- Electrical/Electronics Equipment Installation & Repair General (47.0101)
- Engineering Technology (15.0000)
- Finance And Financial Management Services (52.0800). This includes tasks under:
- Graphics And Printing Technology And Communications (10.0301)
- Lineworker (46.0303)
- Machine Tool Technology/Machinist (48.0501)
- Marketing, Sales, And Service (52.1999)
- Mechatronics (14.4201)
- Medium/Heavy Truck Technician (Natef Certified) (47.0613)
- Radio And Tv Broad Casting Tech. (10.0202)
- Welding, Brazing And Soldering (48.0508)
The State of Michigan, Michigan Department of Education determines the requirements to be eligible for a CTE Certificate. These include:
- Four-year bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Admission to EMU requires submission of official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. For more information see EMU admissions requirements.
- Major or minor in the vocational area of certification.
- Document 4000 hours of relevant and recent work experience in the vocational area of certification within the past ten years as required by the Michigan Department of Education [PDF].
- Successful completion of BMMT 200 (fall offering) and BMMT 363 (winter offering) at EMU.
Michigan Department of Education linked information:
- Standard CTE Certificate Overview [PDF]
- Recent and Relevant Work Experience
- MDE List of State Recognized CIP Codes by Program [PDF]
National Center for Education Statistics:
For an application form, please contact [email protected].