Samir Tout, Ph.D.
School of Information Security and Applied Computing
206 F Roosevelt Hall
- Ph.D. Nova Southeastern University
- M.Sc The University of Western Ontario
- B.Sc The University of Western Ontario
September 2009 - 2014 - Associate Professor
September 2014 - present - Professor
- Software Designer, Perle Systems, Toronto, Ontario
- Software Developer, Unisys, Plymouth, MI
- Senior Principal IT/Security Consultant, Keane/GMAC, Southfield, MI
- Systems Architect, Compuware Corporation/OnStar, Detroit, MI
Interests and Expertise
- IA 103: Information Security Overview
- IA 329: Policy Development Info Assurance
- IA 416: Applied Research Projects in Information Assurance
- IA 542: Information System Security Overview for Managers
- IA 642: Enterprise Security
- IA 645: Data Mining for IA Security
- IA 651: Enterprise Incident Response
- IA 681: Data Mining for Security
- IA 694: Professional Seminar in Information Security/Assurance
- NITA 422: End-User Systems:Planning & Design
- COT 894: Ph.D. Candidacy Seminar
- COT 899: Ph.D. Dissertation Research
* Tout, S., Abualkibash, M., & Patil, P. (2018). Emerging Research in the Security of Modern and Autonomous Vehicles. EIT 2018.
* Innocenzi, Rachael L.; Brown, Kaylee; Liggit, Peggy; Tout, Samir; Tanner, Andrea; Coutilish, Theodore; and Jenkins, Rocky J. (2018) ""Think Before You Click. Post. Type." Lessons learned from our University Cyber Security Awareness Campaign," Journal of Cybersecurity Education, Research and Practice: Vol. 2018 : No. 1 , Article 3.
* Hussain, S., Abualkibash, M., Tout, S. (2018). A Survey of Traffic Sign Recognition Systems Based on Convolutional Neural Networks. EIT 2018.
* Mohammed Jawad, H., Tout, S., Abualkibash, M., Xie, Y. (2018). The Theory of Planned Behavior and High School Students Interest in Computer Science. EIT 2018.
* Mohammed Jawad, H., Tout, S., Abualkibash, M., Xie, Y. (2018). Integrating Art and Animation in Teaching Computer Programming for High School Students Experimental Study. EIT 2018.
* Padin, A., Kebede, Y., Morgan, M., Vorva, D., Fozdar, A., Kalvaitis, R., Remley, N., Tout, S., Kallitsis, M. (2017). Diagnosing False Data Injection Attacks in the Smart Grid: a Practical Framework for Home-Area Networks.Proceedings of the SGIoT Conference, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada, July, 2017.
* Kallitsis, M., Michailidis, G., and Tout, S. (2015). Correlative Monitoring for Detection of False Data Injection Attacks in Smart Grids. Proceedings of the IEEE SmartGridComm Conference, Miami, Florida, S2-4, November 2015.
* Tout, S. (2014). The Need for Strategic Planning Toward Adopting Cloud Computing in Higher Education. The International Journal of Information and Communication Technology Research. Vol. 4, No. 7, pp. 255-263.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
Self-Driving Car Engineer (Level 2)
Team Leadership Certification – Vehicle Cyber Security
Project Management Professional (PMP) Certified, PMI member
SANS GIAC-GREM Certified
ITIL Foundation Certified
Two GM-CIO awards for consulting excellence
- NSF Grant awarded 2014-2017: SaTC “Integrated Smart Grid Analytics for Anomaly Detection”
- Academic Service – Learning (AS-L) Fellowship – Winter 2015
- Faculty Research Fellowship – 2013-2014
- eFellow Award – 2012
Awards and Patents
- Two GM-CIO awards for industry consulting excellence
- ITIL Foundation Certified
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certified
- TOGAF Certified
- IEEE Member
- AOGEA Member