The Collaborative: Ypsilanti YMCA Child Development Center is a collective community-centered response to providing quality child care to low-income families in Ypsilanti and to EMU students with children. Licensed and managed by the YMCA and situated at the former Chappelle Elementary in Ypsilanti, the Collaborative partners include: Eastern Michigan University (Engage@EMU Office and the Office of the President), Ypsilanti Community Schools and the Ypsilanti Housing Commission.
We are currently accepting children for our evening and infant care that will start in early 2023!
Information about The Collaborative: Ypsilanti YMCA Child Development Center:
Currently we are hiring for lead and assistant teachers. We are also looking forward to officially opening our infant and evening care in early 2023!
Infant care: 6 weeks to 12 months (Toddler room will open up to 12 months- 2.5 years)
Evening care: Two nights a week (Monday and Wednesdays) open until 9:30pm for full time working parents or students with children. Available for children 5 to 12 years of age.
Please email Deirdre Gingras at [email protected] for more information on this process.
Who does it serve?
The child development center is intended to primarily serve the following (The cost is based on a sliding-scale and determined by a family’s finances):
- EMU students with children (full or part-time)
- Ypsilanti Housing Commission residents
- Ypsilanti Community Schools families
Ages of Children
- Toddler (6 weeks – 2.5 years) 1 to 4 teacher to child ratio
- Early preschool (2.5 years – 3.5 years) 1 to 8 teacher to child ratio
- Preschool (3.5 years – 12 years) 1 to 10 teacher to child ratio
According to the Washtenaw County Opportunity Index, only 29.9% of children within the census tract of the program site under age five are enrolled in preschool. Having child care with financial assistance available will ensure that those who need it have access to it.
Parents enrolled in college often cite lack of child care as a barrier to attending class. 76% of EMU students surveyed about this project indicated that they would benefit from a new affordable child care option.
The Collaborative addresses a critical need for excellent quality and affordable child care in Ypsilanti. While Ann Arbor has 22 NAEYC-licensed child care facilities (a recognition of excellence), Ypsilanti currently has only two; the Collaborative is the third.
The Collaborative is located at Chapelle, 111 S. Wallace Blvd, Ypsilanti, a YCS former elementary school and under a mile from EMU.
With three large, engaging classrooms, a playground, gym and space for growth, children will enjoy a creative curriculum filled with developmental play.
Interested in more information?
Fill out this form
Thank you to our funders and supporters:
- Washtenaw Coordinated Funders
- Toyota Foundation
- Ann Arbor Area Community Foundation's African American Endowment Fund
- American Muslim Neighbors
- Ypsilanti Housing Commission
- Family Empowerment Program
- Ypsilanti Community Schools
- Eastern Michigan University Student Government
- Eastern Michigan University Office of the President