Students who takes ESL courses are students who:
- are admitted to the Intensive English program, or;
- are fully admitted to a degree program, but wish to improve one or more academic English skills.
In ESL classes, students will increase English proficiency in:
Students will practice English:
- in class projects
- in outside class activities
- with technology
Intensive English program students who have an F-1 visa are required to enroll in 18 hours per semester of ESLN courses to meet U.S. visa requirements.
Students who wish to study in a bachelors degree program will exit the ESL program when they complete the 400 level successfully.
Students who wish to study in a master's degree program will exit the ESL program when they complete the 500 level successfully.
Sequence of ESLN Courses
- ESLN 002 Foundations of ESL Writing
- ESLN 004 Foundations of ESL Reading
- ESLN 006 Foundations of ESL Speaking/Listening
- ESLN 012/ESLN 112 Beginning ESL Writing
- ESLN 014/ESLN 114 Beginning ESL Reading
- ESLN 016/ESLN 116 Beginning ESL Speaking/Listening
- ESLN 022/ESLN 212 Intermediate ESL Writing
- ESLN 024/ESLN 214 Intermediate ESL Reading
- ESLN 026/ESLN 216 Intermediate ESL Speaking/Listening
- ESLN 031/ESLN 311 Advanced ESL Writing
- ESLN 035/ESLN 324 Advanced ESL Reading
- ESLN 045/ESLN 326 Advanced ESL Speaking/Listening
- ESLN 042/ESLN 412 Academic ESL Writing
- ESLN 044/ESLN 414 Academic ESL Reading
- ESLN 046/ESLN 416 Academic ESL Speaking/Listening
- ESLN 049/ESLN 419 Academic ESL Vocabulary
- ESLN 040/ESLN 410 Academic ESL Grammar
- ESLN 052/ESLN 512 Academic Writing for International Graduate Students
- ESLN 054/ESLN 514 Graduate ESL Reading
- ESLN 056/ESLN 516 Graduate ESL Speaking/Listening
- ESLN 058/ESLN 518 Graduate ESL Vocabulary
Required Elective Courses Taken During Academic Level and/or Graduate Level
- ESLN 033/ESLN 313 American Pronunciation II
- ESLN 037/ESLN 317 American Language and Culture II
- ESLN 038/ESLN 315 Study Skills for the English Language Learner
- ESLN 039/319 Community and Current Events II
* ESL courses are subject to University policies, including probation and dismissal. Please see the current Student Handbook and Policy Guide [PDF] for more information.