Current Strategic Plan
The University’s Strategic Plan is a dynamic vision for the future that is being updated. Review the proposed updates to the Strategic Plan’s Goals and Updates.
Strategic Theme: Student Engagement and Success
Descriptor: Foster an environment where students have the greatest opportunity to engage in purposeful learning and involvement so that they can successfully meet and maximize their education goals.
- Goal 1: Create and expand purposeful learning opportunities inside and outside classrooms, in the community and globally.
- Objective 1.1: Document, review and continue to expand field experiences (internships, practicum, co-op activities), leadership trainings, academic service learning, community engagement, and other learning opportunities across the university and beyond.
- Objective 1.2: Continue to strengthen and cultivate distinctive and compelling experiences through undergraduate research programs and interactions with faculty.
- Goal 2: Develop a comprehensive and systematic approach to improve services and processes that enhance student persistence and graduation.
- Objective 2.1: Identify, design and implement seamless connections among academic/non-academic programs and services that facilitate student persistence and graduation.
- Objective 2.2: Connect students through existing structures to resources that will support student well-being across the university (e.g., academic, social, physical, emotional, financial).
- Objective 2.3: Use technology to optimize the delivery of student services.
- Goal 3: Prepare students to successfully and meaningfully interact with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Objective 3.1: Support students in becoming actively engaged global citizens with strong cultural awareness.
- Objective 3.2: Build a university culture in which respect, responsibility, pride and diversity are valued, encouraged and celebrated.
Strategic Theme: High Performing Academic Programs and Quality Research
Descriptor: Support and foster high quality academic and research programs that serve a demonstrated need in the community/region.
- Goal 1: Provide students with high-quality instruction and learning opportunities.
- Objective 1.1: Recruit and retain talented faculty.
- Objective 1.2 Ensure the General Education program meets the needs of students to thrive in society.
- Objective 1.3: Ensure faculty and instructors are supported to keep up with pedagogical and technological advances in the classroom and online.
- Objective 1.4: Create and support innovative academic programs and pedagogy.
- Objective 1.5: Ensure classrooms are equipped with appropriate equipment and resources.
- Goal 2: Increase research to attract external funding and improve student education, with a focus on graduate education.
- Objective 2.1: Increase research and creative activities.
- Objective 2.2: Increase sponsorship of academic research and creative activities (grants, endowments, etc.).
- Objective 2.3: Systematically address staffing and infrastructure costs of scholarship (lab equipment, data curation, library costs).
- Goal 3: Ensure systematic processes are in place to identify programs to be created, expanded or maintained.
- Objective 3.1: Develop a process for identifying programs to be created, expanded or maintained.
- Objective 3.2: Encourage growth of successful existing programs and reallocate resources from programs that have outlived their usefulness or can be right-sized.
- Objective 3.3: Create a framework for the development of new academic programs that meet community/regional and market needs.
Strategic Theme: Institutional Effectiveness
Descriptor: Ensure EMU has the systems and processes in place that support the mission of the institution as efficiently as possible, while fostering innovation, diversity and ethical conduct in the workplace.
- Goal 1: Foster a diverse, ethical, safe and respectful workplace with effective and transparent communications that support the university’s mission and values.
- Objective 1.1: Develop and recruit leadership that reflects the diversity of the student body.
- Objective 1.2: Encourage leaders to model ethical behavior.
- Objective 1.3: Support employees in becoming actively engaged citizens with strong cultural awareness.
- Objective 1.4: Facilitate effective, timely and transparent communication among university stakeholders.
- Objective 1.5 : Continue to implement measures to enhance the safety of the campus and surrounding community.
- Objective 1.6 : Foster an inclusive environment that provides opportunities for all members of the campus community to thrive.
- Goal 2: Improve processes and resource allocation to enhance operational effectiveness and fiscal stewardship.
- Objective 2.1: Examine university processes for improvement and functional realignment, and implement resource allocation to improve performance.
- Objective 2.2: Invest in professional development and formulate an institutional knowledge management program to support succession planning.
- Objective 2.3 : Institute activities and procedures to ensure environmental sustainability and awareness at EMU.
- Goal 3: Establish a culture of innovation by recognizing and rewarding new initiatives.
- Objective 3.1: Establish mechanisms to encourage and support effective innovation.
- Objective 3.2: Establish division/department goals and incentives for innovative revenue generation and cost reduction.
Strategic Theme: Service and Engagement
Descriptor: Support community engagement and collaborations that create a mutually beneficial exchange of knowledge and experiences.
- Goal 1: Enhance community engagement and partnerships.
- Objective 1.1: Enhance and disseminate Academic Service – Learning opportunities.
- Objective 1.2: Create institutional infrastructure to leverage EMU resources and talent to serve the community and Michigan as a whole.
- Objective 1.3 : Effectively utilize University activities to engage the community, including pursuing mutual community goals and priorities.
- Goal 2: Enhance community knowledge and perceptions of EMU.
- Objective 2.1: Assess the University’s impact on the community and the community’s perceptions of the University.
- Objective 2.2: Develop systems to continually inform the public about Eastern’s positive impacts on the community and region.