How do I apply for a job at the Physical Plant?
- Physical Plant jobs are posted at the EMU Jobs web site. To inquire about student positions please call the Physical Plant at 487-3591.
What if I'm planning an event?
The Physical Plant Grounds and Custodial Department recommends adhering to the following for a successful campus event:
• Physical Plant is to be notified at least ten days prior to any event. Please call 487-3684 to provide event logistics information, as well as to provide a contact name and phone number.
• The Department of Public safety is to be notified of all events. Please call 487-0892 to provide event logistics information, as well as a contact name and phone number.
• Cleaning staff must be properly trained in chemical use, cleaning technique, safety and personal protective equipment
• Staff must be aware of procedures for calling in work orders
• Emergency call in list of available staff should be maintained to assure adequate staffing levels
• Determine in advance of an event any electrical, plumbing, elevator, or carpentry needs you may have.
• Parking lots, sidewalks and entrances must be snow- and ice free (winter events)
• Parking areas and surrounding grounds must be litter-free
• Cigarette butts must be swept up from doorways and ash urns to sifted and maintained
• Adjacent exterior trash cans must be emptied and maintained
• Restrooms must be sanitized prior to event and patrolled throughout
• One male and one female staff member must be on hand to patrol restrooms, assuring proper stock levels and maintaining cleanliness.
• Seating areas must be straightened, and any surfaces kept free of debris/spills
• Floors should be free of debris/spills
• Entryways and hallways should be free of debris/spills
• White/chalk boards should be cleaned prior to event
• Custodians should have an event contact person
• Custodian should be readily identifiable
Waste Collection and Disposal Considerations
• Adequate interior/exterior trash cans must be available and maintained
• Filled trash bags must be properly disposed of and taken to pre-approved locations
Service requirements vary, and are dependent upon the nature, size, and length of event; the presence of food and/or beverages, the location, etc. Costs: contact 487-3684 for current rates for the Custodial and Grounds services and disposable trash receptacle. A Zone Manager from the Physical Plant can assist with event preparation, and can be reached by calling 487-3684.
I need more information
Contact the Physical Plant:
Eastern Michigan University
875 Ann St.
Ypsilanti, MI 48197