Eastern Michigan University logo
direct edit
Office of the Provost

The EMU Academic History Project - Faculty and Administrators

Welcome to the site where we will post a series of periodic posts about EMU's past. An early focus was to share information about EMU's academic buildings, and here we broaden this focus to feature faculty and administrators. Thanks to the Halle Library Archives and Alexis Braun Marks for providing this content, and without whom this series would not be possible.

Academic Spaces Page

Faculty/Administrators

Albert Prince (A. P.) Marshall

A. P. Marshall

Albert Prince (A. P.) Marshall

In honor of Black History Month, today's History Project post features another Marshall, Albert Prince (A. P.) Marshall, an EMU faculty member and administrator from 1960 to 1980.

Born in 1914 in Texarkana, Texas and raised in Oklahoma, A.P. Marshall graduated from Missouri’s Lincoln University in 1939 with a bachelor’s degree in library science and earned his master’s degree from the University of Illinois in 1950. He worked at Lincoln University and became the director of its Inman E. Page Library. Marshall came to Eastern Michigan University in 1969, two years after the university opened in its new and expanded library space, where Marshall served as the director of the library and taught courses in the College of Education in library science. Eventually he moved into the role of Dean of Academic Services, and retired from the University in 1980. When asked the mission of EMU by the staff of the 1975 Aurora, Marshall responded that he “would definitely like to see EMU get the financial support necessary for providing the services it should be providing for the people, particularly in the southeast area of Michigan. EMU has highly capable people and a very great potential. We need to convince the taxpayers of this. A part of this mission would be to provide the services and the opportunities this area needs. I would like to see EMU as a multiracial institution to serve all people who need it.” Marshall was involved in the Ypsilanti Rotary Club, Ypsilanti-Willow-Run Branch of the NAACP and the Brown Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church. He remained in the community until his death in 2001 at the age of 86.

In his retirement, Marshall began documenting the African American community in Ypsilanti, and conducted a number of oral histories and collected materials. We are so fortunate to have these histories, which were recently digitized by the Ypsilanti District Library, and can be heard via the project's A. P. Marshall African American Oral History web page


 

Everett L. Marshall

Everett L. Marshall was born July 10, 1908, in DeKalb, Illinois, to William L. and Amanda M. (Burt) Marshall. Everett L. Marshall attended DeKalb Public Schools and then earned a Bachelor of Education from Northern Illinois University in 1930. Mr. Marshall taught in the LaGrange Illinois school system for two years. He earned a Master of Arts degree in 1934 and his Ph.D. in 1936 from the University of Iowa. In August 1935, he married Helen O. Hohenshelst in DeKalb, Illinois. She passed away in August of 1986, after 51 years of marriage.

From 1936-1937, Marshall taught at Illinois State University and for a year starting in 1937 he worked for the Department of Agriculture. He joined the teaching staff at Eastern Michigan University in 1938, where he remained for 41 years before retiring in 1979 as Emeritus Professor of Education and Dean of Academic Records and Teacher Certification. At EMU he began as a professor in the Department of Education and Psychology in 1938, and was appointed as an academic advisor in 1939. From 1942 to 1949 he directed the University's "irregular programs" and in 1949, was appointed registrar and director of admissions. In 1965, he was made Dean of Academic and Teacher Certification, and retired in 1979, the same year that he was awarded the honorary Degree of Doctor of Humane Letters by Eastern Michigan University.

Dr. Marshall's gifts to EMU have supported a wide range of areas, which all made a positive impact on the students. He established four endowed scholarships in three colleges that totaled over $380,000. He created a fellow award for advising, and supported Pease Auditorium, the Geddes Town Hall Schoolhouse, and Athletics. His lifetime giving places him among top donors, and honors him with a place in the Leichty Society of the Trustees Council. In recognition of his many contributions to EMU, in October 2000, the new College of Health and Human Services building was named in his honor.

Everett L. Marshall Building

The Everett L. Marshall Building, housing the College of Health & Human

Services.

The building was funded by state and university matching funds, including a donation from Marshall, and was built on the site of Goodison residence hall. Architects designed the new building to be both people-friendly and environmentally friendly. According to an article in the Eastern Connection,

“Tables are made of soybeans, newspapers, and wooden pallets. Chairs and fabrics are made from recycled pop bottles; floors from straw cork, recycled tires and bamboo; ceiling tiles inhibit harmful molds; and low-odor, solvent-free paints help ensure air quality.

The building has wider doors and adjustable desks among other modifications to ensure that everyone, regardless of age, size or disability can be comfortable in the building. Using a philosophy of universalization of design, the architects took the needs of the most disadvantaged members of the community, in this case a faculty member with multiple chemical sensitivities, and designed the building to have high indoor air quality. This sort of design sensitivity makes the building a better environment for everyone and more comfortable for those with special needs.”

Elizabeth King, former Dean of the College of Health and Human Services, described the building as a metaphor for the College's primary purpose: to help students build better, fuller lives as they prepare for their professional careers. The building mirrors the changes in the health care and human services systems, and complements the growing demand for those skilled in collaboration, effective communication, and teamwork.

Dr. Marshall was an avid gardener and woodworker, creating hundreds of wooden walker trays for the residents of his retirement community. A certified braillist, Dr. Marshall translated tests for students and translated books for the Library of Congress. He was an active member of the Ypsilanti Lions Club, and a member of the University of Iowa "President" Club. Everett L. Marshall died September 14, 2002. His portrait can be seen in the lobby of the building that bears his name.


 

Glenadine C. Snow

Glenadine C. Snow, born in Glenwood, New York, in 1878, was the first Medical Director of Health Services at Michigan State Normal School, serving from 1915 to 1947. She earned her degrees from Kalamazoo College, Michigan State Normal College, and her medical degree from the University of Michigan in 1921. In that same year, she earned her Michigan Certificate of Medical Registration.

Dr. Snow had experience as an elementary school teacher, a physical education teacher, and was a visiting student doctor from Ann Arbor. She had special achievement in organizing the instructional program in Health Education at the Michigan State Normal College. She took a leave of absence from the MSNC to help complete a study that was funded by the Children's Fund of Michigan, which offered to frame a program of health instruction for teachers in the four Teachers' Colleges of Michigan.

Dr. Snow is credited as an organizer of the Health program adopted in Michigan's four teacher colleges; and also as an organizer of the Health Services at Michigan State Normal College. Health Services was originally housed in a home on Perin Street until the Health Services Building that she help design in partnership with R. S. Gerganoff was constructed in 1939 at a cost of $60,000, that was intended to insure the good health of students.

Glenadine Snow, who had worked at the college since 1915, took charge of the newly built college health center when it opened in 1939. The new health center featured ten patient beds, as well as offices and outpatient rooms. This building served as the Health Center until 1961.

Dr. Snow is remembered as a dynamic person with genuine interest in her students, who placed emphasis on preventative medicine. Due to ill health, Dr. Snow retired from M.S.N.C. in 1945 and passed away after a heart attack in 1953. She never saw the construction of the current Snow Health Center that was dedicated on November 21st, 1959.

The new health center replaced the previous health center building in the context of a rapidly expanding university. It cost $750,000 to complete and the university borrowed the funds against student fees.

Mosaic outside the Snow Health Center.

The mural outside the Glenadine C. Snow Health Center.

Architects designed it to facilitate the practice of preventative medicine for Eastern's campus. The new building contained three times the number of beds as the old health center. In normal circumstances, it could house 30 patients in quarters on the third floor but it had space for up to 150 in a disaster situation.

A brightly colored abstract mosaic decorates the entryway of the otherwise sober International style exterior. In 1958, the school held a competition in which it invited fine and industrial arts faculty to present ideas for a mosaic. The winning mosaic decorates the wall outside the main entrance to the health center and adds color to the stark international style building.