• General Queries

    Expand dropdown

    What is the scope of this field?

    The M.S. in Polymers and Coatings Technology curriculum prepares students to become science & technology leaders in a global environment where coatings and polymer technology is growing rapidly. Grounded by a solid foundation of chemistry and technology core courses students can take a variety of elective courses to customize program of study to their unique interest and educational goals. Graduates are prepared for successful career in polymers, coatings, adhesives, sealants and related industries.

    How are the job opportunities in the USA after graduation?

    There are pretty good opportunities. Most graduates from this program find employment in research and development, technical, customer service, manufacturing etc. areas in paints, sealants, inks, adhesives industries, as well as in end-user industries such as automotive industries. EMU’s program is well received by industries and we keep getting many inquiries for placement of our graduates. Some companies also hold campus interviews.

    What courses I will need to take in order to complete my master’s?

    The curriculum is designed to provide a series of courses in polymers and coatings. The M.S. program requires the completion of 30 to 34 hours of course work distributed among required core courses, concentration courses, electives and capstone experience courses. For more information visit the EMU Catalog.

    What is the approximate duration of this course?

    This program requires 30-34 hrs of coursework. Typically this takes four semesters depending upon the work load student can handle.

    What kind of financial assistance is available to support students in the program?

    Financial support for graduate students in the College Of Technology is available in the form of scholarships, graduate assistantship. Student also have opportunities to work on faculty’s research grants. Besides, there are opportunities to work on campus in other university departments such as library, dinning service, parking services etc.

    I am an undergraduate Chemical Engineering. Do I have a chance of being admitted?

    Yes. We do admit many chemical engineering graduates. Based on your academic background, program coordinator will suggest you to take appropriate course work as part of or in addition to the curriculum if you do not meet eligibility requirement for admission. Work experience in relevant industry is also counted as a positive factor.

    Is there any way to pursue part-time non-degree study at EMU?

    Please contact program coordinator with more specific information.

    How do I determine whether I have a full-time or part-time status?

    At EMU, what is considered full-time and part-time status for graduate students varies. For students with graduate assistantships, six credit hours each in fall and winter and one in spring/summer is considered full-time. For students with fellowships, scholarships or federal loans, eight credit hours each in fall and winter and four in spring/summer is considered full-time. International students must take eight credit hours each in fall and winter and four in spring/summer to be considered full-time. To receive financial aid, part-time students must take a minimum of four credit hours each in fall and winter and two in spring/summer.

    How do I transfer credits from another institution in U.S?

    Students may transfer up to six graduate credits earned at another institution in USA as long as those credits are recent and relevant to the student's degree program. If you wish to do this, you should complete the transfer of credit form [PDF] and have it signed by your advisor. The Graduate School also requires a transcript and an up-to-date program of study, to be completed with your advisor.

    Can I visit your department or contact faculty before being admitted?

    Prospective applicants are welcome to visit EMU. You can arrange a tour of the campus.  Official Department visits including faculty meetings and lab tours will be arranged after you have been admitted.

    What is the tuition fees I will be required to pay?

    The tuition and fee information is in effect beginning with the Fall 2013 semester. All tuition and fees are subject to change by action of the EMU Board of Regents.

    How can I convert my CGPA in 4.0 scale?

    Eastern Michigan University uses a 4.0 scale for GPA calculations. To calculate your GPA, list your courses (whether all or just those in a major or minor) and the credits and grade for each course. Use the chart found in the link below to determine the grade points for each course (this is determined by multiplying the grade points by the number of credits for the course). Add up all of the grade points. Divide this total by the total number of credit hours included. The result will be your grade point average, using the scale in our current university computer system. A complete GPA calculation guide is available for additional instructions. A GPA calculator is available.

  • Admission Process

    Expand dropdown

    Admissions Process

    How do I apply for M.S in Polymer and Coatings Technology?

    How do I pay for the application fee?

    The online system requires you to pay with a credit card. You may also print the application and fill it in by hand and send us a money order or a check (from a U.S. affiliated bank) payable to Eastern Michigan University. Do not send cash or postal orders.

    I applied last year; how can I reapply?

    You should fill out a completely new online application. Please indicate that you applied earlier by checking the appropriate box.

    Can you give me an idea of my chances for admission, based on TOEFL scores or Class Rank, for example?

    We can make no preliminary evaluation based on one or two qualifications. The Admissions Committee carefully reviews the entire application (recommendations, essay, grades, test scores, previous research experience, etc.) in making its decisions.

    Is it OK to send copies of awards, papers or extra letters of recommendation to supplement my application?

    Yes. You can send your copies of awards, journal articles and other extraneous documents to [email protected].

    May I apply to programs other than the Polymer and Coating technology within EMU?

    Yes, but keep in mind that the applications are independent of each other. We do not share supporting materials with other departments. A separate fee is required for each application.

    Will the Department keep me informed of my application status?

    We do not routinely acknowledge receipt of applications or supporting documents. Once you have submitted an application on-line you can go back in and check the status of your recommendations. To check your admission result, you can log into your online account. We will send you an e-mail as soon as the decision has been made. Information about decisions will not be given over the phone.

    Whom do I contact if I have questions about the application process?

    Please send email to [email protected].

    To what address should I send my transcripts?

    Students with academic credentials from outside the United States MUST send transcripts to Educational Perspectives (EP) for evaluation. Order the "detailed" report with course by course evaluation, which will cost $135. The evaluation will be sent directly to EMU. Visit the EMU/EP website for more information.

    For domestic students, if you are admitted you will be required to mail us a hard copy of your official transcript(s) and other official documents, to the following address:

    Office of Admissions
    Eastern Michigan University
    PO Box 970
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197

    Can I send in more than three letters of recommendation?

    Yes you can do so by mailing them to admissions office. However, it is not required or recommended.

    Can I submit a letter of recommendation from an industrial supervisor?

    Yes. However, we strongly recommend that at least ONE letter is from faculty members who knew you well.

    What are the required test scores for international students?

    Applications are evaluated as a whole portfolio and not on a single criterion.

    Although, International students must have the following minimum score in one of the following English Proficiency tests:

    TOEFL PBT: 587
    TOEFL iBT: 95
    IELTS: 7.0 in all categories
    MELAB: 80
    PEARSON: 62

    If the scores are lower, students may be admitted on the condition that their proficiency in English will be tested by EMU faculty prior to their initial enrollment period (Condition 3 Admission). Depending on the results of these tests, students may be required to register for appropriate courses in English as a Second Language (ESL).

    Am I required to take GRE in order to fulfill the admission requirements?

    The GRE is not required for admission into the Polymer and Coating Technology’s graduate program, although it can be a useful supplement to other credentials.

    How do I report my IELTS or TOEFL scores?

    Your on-line application will require you to attach a scanned copy of your test scores. IELTS or TOEFL scores should also be sent directly to EMU. No address is required as scores are reported electronically. IELTS does not require a code. Just mail them saying you want to send your scores to “Eastern Michigan University”. For reporting the TOEFL scores, the EMU institution code is 1201. IELTS and TOEFL scores are valid for 2 years.

    When is the last date I can take the IELTS or TOEFL?

    Applicants are expected to take the IELTS or TOEFL by November 15th to allow for proper reporting time for Fall semester. Applications will not be reviewed until your scores are received.

    How recent should my TOEFL scores be?

    We must have your official scores submitted by the testing service.

    The TOEFL administrators only have scores available for the last two (2) years. If they no longer have your scores available to send, you must retake the exam.

    I just took the TOEFL but my official scores have not yet arrived. Can I still apply?

    If you took an internet-based test and got your scores immediately at the end of your exam, you can manually enter your scores in your application. You must, however, make sure that your official scores are also sent to Eastern Michigan University.

    What documents should I mail to the admissions office?

    For domestic students,

    The only documents to be mailed to the admissions office are your official transcripts from your university-level study and your financial documents in order to support your financial status. The transcripts must be sent to us in sealed envelopes from each university. Opened documents are not official and will not be accepted.

    For international students,

    All your transcripts should be sent to Educational Perspective for evaluation.

    Can my recommender send a paper recommendation?

    Recommendations should be submitted online. In some cases a paper letter may be submitted but it will take longer to process as it will be among all of the received mail and will have to be manually uploaded into the application.

    When will I receive a decision?

    Master's applicants should receive an admission decision within four to six weeks following the application cycle deadline providing that their application is complete and we have received all supporting documents.

  • Post Admission Queries

    Expand dropdown

    Post Admission Queries

    I am not a U.S. Citizen and will need a student visa in order to study in the United States. What should I do?

    If you are admitted to a graduate program, you will be emailed the information and web address for beginning the I-20 application process. Please allow one week from the date of acceptance to submit the I-20 application to ensure your record is in the system.

    Admitted students should address all matters related to the I-20 process with the University’s Office of International Students (OIS)

    What does an advisor do, and how do I get one?

    You are assigned an advisor when you are first admitted into the program. This advisor usually is the coordinator for that program.
    Your advisor directs you through the selection of required and elective courses for your program. He or she also helps you complete the program of study form for your concentration. Your advisor will help you proceed through your graduate studies in a manner that will enhance your intellectual and professional development. Your advisor can also help you select an appropriate faculty member to direct your thesis or project.

    How and when can I get a prerequisite waived?

    Occasionally graduate courses have prerequisites attached to them. If you are taking a course during the same semester that you’re taking the prerequisite for, you can generally just have the prerequisite waived. There are other situations when this is acceptable as well, so it’s a good idea to check with your advisor if you know there’s a prerequisite for a course or if you are blocked from registering for a course because of a prerequisite. The advisor or a department secretary needs to waive a prerequisite in the system before you can register for the course.

    What should I do before I register for classes?

    Before you sign up for any courses, make sure that they will apply to your program. Discuss course selections with your advisor, following the requirements listed in the Graduate Catalog or in the departmental program descriptions. Be sure to get your advisor's approval for electives and cognate courses before you enroll in them.

    Which fellowships and/or scholarships are available to me?

    Some fellowships and scholarships are awarded each year by the Graduate School. Make sure to apply for financial assistance from the Graduate School. You can learn more about these awards and find the guidelines for applying for Graduate Assistantships on the Graduate School website. The application for all awards is the same: You simply need to check the boxes for the awards that interest you or for which you qualify.