Advising Tips for Students
Come prepared to your advising appointments with specific questions. You can look at General Education as well as degree/ program requirements and all courses offered at EMU by visiting the University Catalog.
We expect you to:
- Attend advising appointments prepared with questions for your advisor.
- Become knowledgeable of EMU Requirements, policies, procedures and resources.
- Research the schedule of classes and prepare a tentative schedule.
- Reflect upon your educational, personal, and professional goals and be prepared to discuss them.
- Read you EMU email frequently and respond in a timely manner.
- Assemble an "advising folder" to keep all of your advising materials organized (e.g. relevant test scores, program planning sheet, degree map, academic advising syllabus, orientation paperwork, etc.)
- Meet with an academic advisor every semester to review progress towards your degree.
- Follow up on responsibilities and referrals, such as taking a placement exam, submitting paperwork or meeting with faculty advisors.
- Take responsibility for your decisions and your education.
You can expect your advisor to:
- Help you develop and refine your academic goals.
- Assist you in understanding your academic requirements, and University policies and procedures.
- Make appropriate referrals to on and off campus resources.
- Be available to answer questions through scheduled appointments.
- Listen to your concerns and respect individual values and choices.
- Help you make informed decisions, but not make decisions for you.
Those that wish to transfer to EMU should have their most recent transcripts sent to EMU at least three weeks before meeting with CET General Education advising. Consult your current institution's records office and the EMU Office of Records and Registration transcript page for information regarding transcript orders.