A Record of Reaching Out to Our Community
The students, faculty, and staff continue to serve our community -- the people of EMU, Ypsilanti, the southeastern Michigan region, and the state. We visit several schools and host several school groups at Sherzer Observatory each year. We have also made several appearances on local radio (WAAM) in the recent past and have held occasional, intensive workshops for teachers of astronomy.
The Department has recently participated in:
- School demonstration shows
- Michigan Science Olympiad Region 9 Tournaments
- Fall, Summer, and Winter Trips to Fish Lake
- Eclipse events at Sherzer Observatory
- Michigan Science Fairs
- Hosting the Zone 7 Meeting for the Society of Physics Students
- Hosting the Spring Meeting of the Eastern Great Lakes Section of the APS
- Ongoing programs at Sherzer Observatory and EMU Planetarium, including regular public shows
- Informing the community via guesting on local radio
If you are interested in having physics students perform demonstrations, or other physics related activities for a local organization, please contact Dr. Dave Pawlowski, SPS advisor, or Dr. Ernie Behringer, Interim Department Head.