Sustainability is an ambitious ideal that will require the cooperation of the entire university community. Everybody should embrace sustainability because sustainability aims for the social well-being of everybody. The president's sustainability commission will ensure that the university continuously makes progress toward the ideal of sustainability, but your involvement is needed and a diverse group of participants can only improve our efforts. The simplest way to get involved is through emailing [email protected] or our Facebook page. We are looking for a large number of volunteers to help with our efforts in recycling, social media relations, developing marketing materials, supporting events, fundraising and much more. Internships, research and consultation for class projects are available, which can help facilitate sustainability at EMU and help our rating system. Getting involved is also a good way to meet people in a low-risk manner. Alternative involvement can also be gained by joining one of the following organizations:
Gathering Resources to Educate about our Environment and Nature (GREEN) is a student organization working to provide educational, interactive and environmentally-beneficial opportunities for Eastern Michigan University and the surrounding community.
We're always happy to chat about ways that you can get involved with VISION or how we can support your organizations, ideas and programs!
VISION Volunteer Center
346 EMU Student Center
Ypsilanti, Michigan 48197
President's Sustainability Commission
If you are interested in joining the President's Sustainability Commission, please submit a resume and a statement of interest to [email protected]. Please contact the chairperson of the sustainability commission, Tom Kovacs ([email protected]), if you have any questions about getting involved with the commission. Use our Facebook page to provide feedback or post information helpful to the mission of the commission.
President's Commission on Diversity and Inclusion
The President’s Commission on Diversity and Inclusion has assumed the charge of rendering recommendations that set a template for institutional diversity, equity and inclusion at Eastern Michigan University. In pursuing its work, the commission envisions a university that:
- Ensures the well-being and empowers the voice of all members of the University community;
- Integrates diversity, equity and inclusion as a threaded strategic imperative of all dimensions of institutional excellence;
- Aligns policies, procedures and outcomes with official expressions of mission, goals and values;
- Eliminates process, structural and systemic barriers to achieving institutional diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Integrates the creative talents of the entire University community into University programming, decision-making and operations
- Implements a coordinated accountability driven, continuous improvement model of programming, staffing and operations; and
- Leverages its historical legacy, its geographic positioning in southeastern Michigan and its institutional strengths to position itself for 21st century leadership in transforming the region and the nation.
Email at [email protected].
Swoops Food Pantry
Looking to make a non-perishable item or cash donation? Or simply interested in volunteering your services? If so, visit our donate or volunteer page. Do you want to receive updates about pantry news and how you can help? Sign up to receive our Friends of Swoop’s Newsletter by sending an email to our listserv at [email protected] with the subject line "subscribe".