Swoop's Food Pantry
Swoop's is for every student!
Everyone needs a little help sometimes. Any EMU student can use the pantry as needed during open hours. Shopping at Swoop's can help students stretch their budget and spend more time focused on their coursework and enjoying their college experience!
If you have questions pantry please email [email protected]
Please watch this video:
How to access the pantry:
- If you are a new student shopper to Swoop's, we require that students complete a Swoop's Food Pantry Intake Form prior to visiting the pantry.
- Visitors to Swoop's can enter through the main entrances on the east side of Pierce Hall near the elevator.
Online Shopping and Pick-up: Clients are requested to complete an Online Shopping Request Form before arriving. Items will be bagged by staff and clients can pick up their order in 105 Pierce when they arrive at their scheduled time.
In-Person Shopping during Open Hours: Clients are requested to follow instructions upon entrance of the building to access 201 Pierce for in-person shopping.
Donations: Items can be dropped off during open hours at the John and Angie Sabo Swoop's Food Pantry Room 104 Pierce Hall. Swoop’s can also pick up items from your porch for those in the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area. Send an email to [email protected] to arrange a donation pickup.
Items in demand: Rice, Pet food, Non-dairy milk alternatives, condiments, shampoo & conditioner and large snacks.
- To minimize social contact, the shopping process has been adjusted. When picking up your groceries or shopping in-person, please wear face masks and practice responsible social distancing.
Further food assistance resources can be accessed through various food pantries in Washtenaw County [PDF], free assistance/free hot meals in the Ann Arbor area [PDF], Food Gatherers Need Food? and various food banks located within Michigan [PDF].
Our mission is to provide the EMU community with food assistance and additional resources to positively impact well-being and college success.
- Food is a human right. Swoop’s works to decrease the stigma associated with experiencing food insecurity and maintain an environment of inclusivity, equity and diversity.
- Swoop’s serves everyone regardless of race/religion/gender/sexual orientation/ability/immigration status
- Participates in campus research projects and provides education to the EMU community in order to spread awareness of the issues students face.
- Empowers students by decreasing barriers on the journey to earning a college degree.
- As a student-led organization, Swoop’s empowers everyone to engage their unique talents and voice by providing dynamic volunteer, leadership, and employment opportunities.
- Strives to create an environment where students are treated with dignity and are able to independently choose their food from an array of options that cater to their dietary needs, preferences, and beliefs (allergies, religious, ethnic, vegan/vegetarian, healthy lifestyle, etc.).
- Encourages and supports collaboration with the community by involving other agencies/organizations in finding solutions to decrease hunger and food insecurity.
- Recognizes that many issues overlap with food insecurity and seek to find resources and solutions.
- Uses existing resources whenever possible with the goal of conservation.
- Engages in recycling, composting, and reusing in order to reduce waste.
- Provides plant-based meat alternatives and sustainable/reusable products whenever possible.
Swoop's will serve anyone regardless of race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, political stance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical appearance, disability status, age, pregnancy, any group membership, leave status, veteran status or genetic information. This information will be kept confidential and will not have a negative effect on services provided to you.
Over 5 years serving the EMU Community
Swoop's Food Pantry opened its doors in September 2015 and has seen enormous growth! Enjoy our Celebration Video as we reflect on the impact Swoop's Food Pantry as had on the EMU Community!
Swoop's 5 year video
As always, thank you for your continued support!