- BA, Dartmouth College, 1995
- MS, University of Michigan, 1998
- Ph.D., University of Michigan, 2004
Interests and ExpertiseBroadly, I am interested in linkages between terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems. My research focuses on organic matter dynamics and nutrient cycling and the watershed scale processes that control the export of carbon and nutrients from land to water. An understanding of the mechanisms underlying these ecosystem fluxes is needed to better predict the consequences of environmental change on both aquatic ecosystems, which are often sensitive to changes in terrestrial inputs, and overall ecosystem elemental budgets (e.g., terrestrial carbon storage or CO2 release to the atmosphere; nitrogen retention or export).
- BIO 310 Ecology
- BIO 311W Laboratory in Ecology
- BIO 410 Limnology
- BIO 413 Wetland Ecosystems
- BIO 479/592 Ecosystem Ecology
- BIO 510 Limnology
- BIO 513 Wetland Ecosystems
Publications and Presentations
- McGuire K.M. & K.E. Judd. 2020. Road salt chloride retention in wetland soils and effects on dissolved organic carbon export. Chemistry and Ecology 36:342-359. DOI: 10.1080/02757540.2020.1735376
- Judd, K.E. and S.N. Francoeur. 2019. Short-term impacts of Phragmites management on nutrient budgets and plant communities in Great Lakes coastal freshwater marshes. Wetlands Ecol Mange 27: 55-74.
- Duke, S.D., S.N. Francoeur, and K.E. Judd. Effects of Phragmites australis invasion on carbon dynamics in a freshwater marsh. Wetlands 35: 311–321.
- Kling, G.W, H.E. Adams, N.D. Bettez, W.B. Bowden, B.C. Crump, A.E. Giblin, K.E. Judd, K. Keller, G.W. Kipphut, E.B. Rastetter, G.R. Shaver, and M. Stieglitz. 2014. Chapter 6 Land-Water Interactions In: Alaska's Changing Arctic: Ecological consequences for tundra, streams, and lakes (pp 143–172). J.E Hobbie and G.W. Kling eds. Oxford Press, New York, NY.
- Warren, D.R., K.E. Judd, D.L. Bade, G.E. Likens, and C.E. Kraft. 2013. Effects of wood removal on stream habitat and nitrate uptake in two northeastern US headwater streams. Hydrobiologia 77:119–131.
- Li, S., Y. Xie, D. Brown, Y. Nai, J. Hua, and K. Judd. 2013. Spatial variability of the adaptation of grassland vegetation to climatic change in Inner Mongolia China. Applied Geography 43:1–12.
- Judd, K.E., G.E. Likens, D.B. Buso, and A.E. Bailey. 2011. Minimal nitrate response to severe soil frost raises questions about nutrient dynamics in the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest. Biogeochemistry 106: 443–459.
- Judd K.E., G.E. Likens, and P.M. Groffman. 2007. High retention of nitrate during winter in soils of the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest. Ecosystems 10: 217–225.
- Judd K.E., B.C. Crump, and G.W. Kling. 2007. Bacterial responses in activity and community composition to photo-oxidation of dissolved organic matter from soil and surface waters. Aquatic Sciences 69:96–107
- Judd K.E., B.C. Crump, and G.W. Kling. 2006. Variation in dissolved organic matter bioavailability along terrestrial to aquatic flowpaths controls rates of bacterial production and structures bacterial communities. Ecology 87: 2068–2079.
- Judd K.E., H.E. Adams, N.S. Bosh, J.M. Kostrzewski, B.M. Schulz, D.H. Wang, and G.W. Kling. 2005. A case history: effects of mixing regime on nutrient dynamics and community structure in Third Sister Lake, Michigan during late winter and early spring 2003. Lake and Reservoir Management 21: 316–329.
- Judd K.E. and G.W. Kling. 2002. Production and export of dissolved carbon from arctic tundra mesocosms: the roles of vegetation and water flow. Biogeochemistry 60: 213–234.