About the School of Social Work
Why Social Work?
People who are drawn to social work want to make a difference in the world. A degree in this field gives you the skills and the resources to help people change their lives for the better and to advocate for social change.
- Push for justice
- Strive to create a society in which all citizens have a voice
- Strengthen families and communities
- Protect the vulnerable
Compassionate. Respectful. Resourceful. Determined.
At its core, social work requires a passion for helping people and a commitment to social justice. Our graduates help people and communities tackle problems rooted in poverty, racism, ageism, violence or illness. Social workers serve people of every age and background as they script new futures for themselves.
The U.S. Department of Labor has identified social work as one of the fastest growing professions, making a bachelor's degree in social work both a marketable degree and a foundation for advanced standing in a social work graduate program. A master's degree in social work opens up career possibilities as an advanced practitioner, a supervisor and a leader in the profession.
School of Social Work Mission Statement
The Eastern Michigan University School of Social Work is age-friendly and student-supportive. It is founded on a commitment to social and economic justice and dedicated to advancing practices that are culturally responsive, anti-racist, and inclusive of all identities. Through the creation of strengths-based connections with individuals, families, groups, communities, and organizations, we:
- Attend to the vital roles of empowerment and interprofessional collaboration in combatting oppression and engaging communities to promote systemic change.
- Value, honor, and advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in all aspects of social work practice, including direct service, advocacy for equitable social welfare policies, and the fostering of community-based partnerships.
- Align our teaching, scholarship, and service with the core values of the profession.
Our School Works to Support the University's Mission.
EMU enriches lives in a supportive, intellectually dynamic and diverse community. Our dedicated faculty balance teaching and research to prepare students with relevant skills and real world awareness. We are an institution of opportunity where students learn in and beyond the classroom to benefit the local and global communities. Read the university's mission.