Need a registration override? Use this form to submit your request.
The EMU Department of Mathematics and Statistics is proud to celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month, which recognizes and celebrates the many contributions, diverse cultures, and extensive histories of the American Latino community. This is a time of celebration and an opportunity for reflection on how to make diversity, equity, and inclusion a priority in schools all year long.
Here is a list of some suggested resources.
- In excerpts of the book, "Testimonios: Stories of Latinx and Hispanic Mathematicians," read about the personal journeys of Latinx and Hispanic mathematicians told in their own voices.
- Latinxs and Hispanics in the Mathematical Sciences features the multifaceted and diverse nature of the Latinx and Hispanic mathematics community and inspires the younger generation of Latinx mathematicians.
- See the American Statistical Association's biographies of individuals from the Hispanic community who have made tremendous contributions to math and statistics, and read how they entered the field of statistics, what they have accomplished, and how they became leaders in their professional careers.
- SACNAS, the Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science is an inclusive organization dedicated to fostering the success of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans, from college students to professionals, in attaining advanced degrees, careers, and positions of leadership in STEM.
- EMU Latino/a Faculty & Staff Association (LFSA)
- EMU Latino Alumni Chapter
- EMU Latinx scholarship opportunities
Mission and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The mission of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics is to instill an appreciation of the intrinsic beauty, the diverse origins, and the practical aspects of mathematics and statistics.
To this end, the department:
- provides students well-balanced academic programs at the baccalaureate and master's degree levels;
- functions as a scholarly unit promoting faculty and student research; and
- serves as a resource for mathematical expertise to the university and to the larger community.
More specifically, the department dedicates itself to:
- providing the highest quality educational experience possible to undergraduate and graduate students within the majors and minors in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics and to students enrolled in General Education Program courses and service courses for other programs;
- fostering involvement in research by both students and faculty; and
- providing meaningful service to the EMU academic community, to the disciplines of our faculty, to the broader mathematical and statistical community, and to the local and regional communities.
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics supports the Diversity and Inclusion statement of the College of Arts and Sciences.
One of the responsibilities of a public university is to instantiate the ideals of equity, freedom, and justice, while cultivating a well-informed populace capable of critical thinking and creative innovation. In service to these principles, the EMU College of Arts and Sciences recognizes that it is only through fostering a diverse and affirming campus community that includes all students, instructors, staff, and faculty that these goals might be achieved. In the interest of accomplishing these ends, the College shall endeavor, within each of its represented disciplines, to more fully account for the contributions or counter-narratives of previously neglected and marginalized groups, including but not limited to groups who differ by race and ethnicity, country of origin, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, and the intersection of these identities.
The Department of Mathematics supports the Black Lives Matter statement of the Michigan Mathematical Association of America (MAA).
The Michigan MAA supports Black Lives Matter and dismantling systems of racism and oppression. The Michigan MAA Statement on Black Lives affirms our support of the broader movement to end racial injustice and suggests ways that Michigan MAA members can foster justice and equity within their mathematical communities. This statement offers suggestions for making classrooms inclusive and equitable, learning about race and ethnicity in mathematics, and supporting organizations dedicated to racial justice and equity within the mathematics community.
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Eastern Michigan University is a departmental/institutional member of the National Association of Mathematicians, the Association for Women in Mathematics, the Mathematical Association of America, and the American Mathematical Society.
Learn more about a major in Data Science and Analytics. Talk with Dr. Andrew Ross.