Need a registration override? Use this form to submit your request.
We are proud to celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month, which recognizes the achievements and contributions of Hispanic American champions who have inspired others to achieve success. This is a time of celebration, but more importantly, it’s also an opportunity for reflection on how to make diversity, equity, and inclusion a priority in schools all year long.
Here is some suggested reading from the Mathematical Association of America and the American Mathematical Society: Testimonios, a publication seeking to inspire the next generation of Latinx and Hispanic mathematicians by highlighting stories from the community. Get your free copy now! Or, read selected chapters here, https://www.mathvalues.org/inclusivitypage
More resources are at:
Mission and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The mission of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics is to instill an appreciation of the intrinsic beauty, the diverse origins, and the practical aspects of mathematics and statistics.
To this end, the department:
- provides students well-balanced academic programs at the baccalaureate and master's degree levels;
- functions as a scholarly unit promoting faculty and student research; and
- serves as a resource for mathematical expertise to the university and to the larger community.
More specifically, the department dedicates itself to:
- providing the highest quality educational experience possible to undergraduate and graduate students within the majors and minors in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics and to students enrolled in General Education Program courses and service courses for other programs;
- fostering involvement in research by both students and faculty; and
- providing meaningful service to the EMU academic community, to the disciplines of our faculty, to the broader mathematical and statistical community, and to the local and regional communities.
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics supports the Diversity and Inclusion statement of the College of Arts and Sciences.
One of the responsibilities of a public university is to instantiate the ideals of equity, freedom, and justice, while cultivating a well-informed populace capable of critical thinking and creative innovation. In service to these principles, the EMU College of Arts and Sciences recognizes that it is only through fostering a diverse and affirming campus community that includes all students, instructors, staff, and faculty that these goals might be achieved. In the interest of accomplishing these ends, the College shall endeavor, within each of its represented disciplines, to more fully account for the contributions or counter-narratives of previously neglected and marginalized groups, including but not limited to groups who differ by race and ethnicity, country of origin, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, and the intersection of these identities.
The Department of Mathematics supports the Black Lives Matter statement of the Michigan Mathematical Association of America (MAA).
The Michigan MAA supports Black Lives Matter and dismantling systems of racism and oppression. The Michigan MAA Statement on Black Lives affirms our support of the broader movement to end racial injustice and suggests ways that Michigan MAA members can foster justice and equity within their mathematical communities. This statement offers suggestions for making classrooms inclusive and equitable, learning about race and ethnicity in mathematics, and supporting organizations dedicated to racial justice and equity within the mathematics community.
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Eastern Michigan University is a departmental/institutional member of the National Association of Mathematicians, the Association for Women in Mathematics, the Mathematical Association of America, and the American Mathematical Society.
Learn more about a major in Data Science and Analytics. Talk with Dr. Andrew Ross.