Front Desks

The Front Desks are here to help residents with questions, mail, keys, lockouts and to help provide some supplies and materials. If you have a brief question or find yourself locked out, go to the Front Desk. The Front Desks are staffed by undergraduate students at EMU. Office managers (OM) are undergraduate staff members responsible for the operations of a hall or apartment front desk. Office assistants (OA) are responsible for front desk operations and act as a receptionist and information source for students, parents and guests.

Front Desk Hours

  • Phelps/Sellers and Walton/Putman: 9 a.m.–10 p.m. daily
  • Buell, Best, Downing, Hoyt, Pittman and Wise: 9 a.m.–10 p.m. daily
  • Brown Hall Office (serving Brown/Munson, Cornell, W. Forest, Westview): 9 a.m.–9 p.m. daily
  • Village Front Desk: 9 a.m.–10 p.m. daily
  • Central Housing and Residence Life Office: 9 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday–Friday

Contact Your Front Desk

Supplies and Games

Front desks provide items such as vacuum cleaners, brooms, mops, pails and games. Residents must present their state issued ID card as a form of identification in order to check out these items. Toilet tissue is provided free of charge at every front desk (except Wise Hall).

Broken Room Keys

If your metal room key is broken, report it to the Front Desk staff. They will order you a new key and provide you with a temporary key. There may be a fee if it is determined you are responsible for the key damage.

Lost or Broken EID

In the event of a lost or broken EID, residents may obtain a temporary card from Housing and Residence Life Staff. Residents should go to the Front Desk during desk hours and inform staff that they need a temporary card. The office staff will then contact professional staff who will issue a temporary card. Residents must remain at the Front Desk so that staff can issue a card. This process may take several minutes. If a lost or broken EID occurs outside of Front Desk hours, the resident should contact the RA on duty (phone numbers posted near the Front Desk). If your EID was lost or stolen, please inform the staff so that proper safety measures can be taken. The temporary card must be returned when a new card is received. Not returning the card will result in a charge.


In the event of a lockout, residents may check out a loaner key from the Front Desk during normal desk hours. If a resident is locked out of their room after the desk closes, the RA on duty should be contacted. For residents of Cornell Courts and Westview, contact DPS for lockouts at 734.487.1222 and a member of Housing and Residence Life staff will be sent to provide assistance.

Residents that are locked out of their room will be given access to their room, free of charge, one time for the academic year. For each lockout thereafter or use of a loaner key, a $20 lockout fee will be assessed. After three loaner keys have been issued, a work order may be issued to change the lock and the lock change fee will be billed directly to the resident’s student account. Loaner keys issued must be returned within 48 hours of the lockout or a lock change will be submitted and billed to the resident’s student account ($15 fee will be assessed for the unreturned card). Three lockouts or loaner keys within a 60-day period will result in a lock change billed to the resident’s student account.

Lost or Stolen Keys or EID

(See the Residence Hall and Apartments Rules 3.10 Security Procedures)

To ensure safety, residents must report keys that are lost or stolen to the front desk or RA on duty immediately. A lock change will be requested and the student’s account will be billed. Once a key is reported missing, the lock change process is started and cannot be stopped. Keys are issued to the resident only. Residents cannot give their keys/keycard/EID to friends, family members or guests.

Skip Section Navigation