Mission and Goals
The Department of Biology recognizes the importance of breadth of knowledge, specialization and the scientific skills and attitudes associated with finding and using new knowledge.
To this end, the department:
- Provides students a well-balanced academic program at the baccalaureate and master's degree levels
- Functions as a scholarly unit promoting faculty and student research
- Serves as a resource for biological expertise, to the university and larger community
More specifically, the goals of the department are to:
- Provide the highest quality educational experience possible biology majors and minors and students enrolled in service courses used in other programs.
- Create a learning environment integrating research concepts with inquiry-driven pedagogy.
- Strengthen the involvement in research by our faculty (as measured by increased productivity of publications, funding success, presentations and graduate student research).
- Provide meaningful service to the EMU academic community, the disciplines of our faculty, the broader scientific community and the local and regional communities.