- BS, University of Michigan, 1991
- MA, Indiana University, 1994
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin, 1997
Interests and Expertise
Upon my return from administration to the faculty in the fall semester of 2021, I have redirected my research interests toward biology education. I am studying the effects of prerequisite and other curricular changes on student persistence in STEM. I am also studying the effects of implementation of a course-based undergraduate research experience that is aligned with faculty research interests on student attitudes toward aspects of the scientific process.
- BIO 120 Introductory Biology II
- BIO 121 Introductory Biology II Laboratory
- BIO 601 Teaching Undergraduate Biology
Publications and Presentations
- Bassham DC, Laporte M, Marty F, Moriyasu Y, Ohsumi Y, Olsen LJ, Yoshimoto K (2006) Autophagy in Development and Stress Responses of Plants. Autophagy. 2(1): 2–11
- Sharkey TD, Laporte MM, Lu Y, Weise S, Weber A (2004) Engineering plants for elevated CO2: A relationship between starch degradation and sugar sensing. Plant Biology 6:280–288
- Tarczynski MC, Laporte MM, Shen B (2003) Methods for Modulating Water-Use Efficiency or Productivity in a Plant by Transforming with a DNA Encoding a NADP-Malic Enzyme Operably Linked to a Guard Cell or an Epidermal Cell Promoter. US Patent Number 6,653,535 B1.
- Laporte MM, Shen B, Tarczynski MC (2002) Engineering for drought avoidance: Expression of maize NADP-malic enzyme in tobacco. Journal of Experimental Botany 53:699–705
- Laporte MM, Galagan JA, Prasch AL, Vanderveer PJ, Hanson DT, Shewmaker CK, Sharkey TD (2000) Promoter strength and tissue specificity effects on growth of tomato plants transformed with maize sucrose-phosphate synthase. Planta 212, 817–822.
- Sharkey TD, Laporte MM, Kruger EL (2000) Will increased photosynthetic efficiency lead to increased yield in rice? In J. Sheehy (ed.) The Quest to Reduce Hunger: Redesigning Rice Photosynthesis IRRI Los Baños, Philippines and Elsevier Science, Amsterdam pp 73–86.
- Singsaas EL, Laporte MM, Shi JZ, Monson RK, Bowling DR, Johnson K, Lerdau M, Jasentuliyana A, Sharkey TD (1999) Kinetics of leaf temperature fluctuation affect isoprene emission from red oak (Quercus rubra) leaves. Tree Physiology 19, 917–924.
- Laporte MM, Galagan JA, Shapiro JA, Boersig MR, Shewmaker CK, Sharkey TD (1997) Sucrose-phosphate synthase activity and yield analysis of tomato plants transformed with maize sucrose-phosphate synthase. Planta 203, 253–259.
- Laporte MM, Delph LF (1996) Sex-specific physiology and source-sink relations in the dioecious plant Silene latifolia. Oecologia 106:63–72.