Audition for the Cello Program
Eastern Michigan University’s School of Music & Dance is accepting undergraduate and graduate applications for the upcoming academic year! The following are cello audition requirements and guidelines. The audition will last approximately 15–20 minutes and is an important part of the application process. Please try to attend an official audition date if possible. All candidates must submit an online application. International students, please visit International Admissions for additional information and support.
2021-2022 Audition Dates (In Person)
- Friday, November 5, 2021
- Saturday, January 15, 2022
- Friday, February 11, 2022
- Friday, March 18, 2022
2021-2022 Audition Dates (Remote)
- Thursday, November 4, 2021
- Friday, January 14, 2022
- Thursday, February 10, 2022
- Thursday, March 17, 2022
Note: The School of Music & Dance will be offering both in-person and remote auditions during the 2021-2022 academic season. For candidates opting for remote auditions, please submit an unedited, continuous recording (uploaded as an 'unlisted' YouTube link) in place of a live, in-person audition. Please be sure the video shows the entirety of your body and cello, and the camera angle is stationary. For more information or to send your audition recording, please contact Dr. Donald Babcock ([email protected]).
Undergraduate repertoire requirements:
- 3-Octave Galamian Scales:
- Choose 2 keys from the list (Key of Eb, F, G, Ab, A, or Bb) and play the major, melodic minor, and harmonic minor scales in each corresponding key using the Galamian scale method. Download Scale PDF.
- Metronome: quarter note equals 60 with scales in eighth notes.
- Scales must be played slurred, four notes to a bow as shown in the highlighted green box (refer to Scale PDF). Please be sure you are using the full length of the bow and distributing the bow evenly among all four notes in each slur.
- Scales must be played for memory in both in-person and remote auditions.
- Etude of choice (Popper, Duport, Piatti, or other technical study)
- Two solo selections presenting contrasting styles chosen from the standard repertoire. Piano accompaniment is welcome but not required.
Graduate repertoire requirements:
- Etude (Popper, Duport, Piatti, or other technical studies)
- Two contrasting movements, one of which is the Prelude, from one of the Bach unaccompanied suites.
- An allegro movement from the standard cello concerto literature. Piano accompaniment is welcome but not required.
*Movements of Bach and the concerto must be memorized.
Music Minor repertoire requirements:
- Choice of two major scales (3 octaves, if applicable)
- One solo selection demonstrating your level of playing. Piano accompaniment is welcome but not required.
How to Apply:
All prospective students must submit an online application to Eastern Michigan University prior to auditioning for the school. Additionally, prospective students must be accepted by the university to be considered for a music scholarship. International students, please visit International Admissions for additional information and support.
School of Music & Dance Application
All prospective music students must submit an undergraduate music application or graduate music application to the School of Music & Dance at least seven days prior to the audition date. As part of this process, applicants will provide names and contact information for two recommenders.
- Principal instrument/voice audition - Required of all applicants.
- Music Literacy Assessment or Music Theory Exam (undergraduate or graduate) - Required of all applicants.
- Program interview - Required of Music Education and Music Therapy applicants.
- Piano placement exam - Students with 2-4 years of previous keyboard experience are encouraged to take this exam to determine which semester of piano is appropriate.
- Audition day schedule - (January, February, March)
Official audition results are determined by the Director of the School of Music & Dance based on the recommendations of the music faculty and are mailed to the applicant, normally within ten business days of the audition.
Not ready to apply, but want to know more about EMU Music?
If you have questions concerning the Music & Dance application process, please contact Dr. Donald Babcock, admissions coordinator.
Students with disabilities who feel that they may need an accommodation to complete the admissions process should contact Dr. Donald Babcock at [email protected] for assistance.