Auditions the Cello Program
EMU CELLO at Eastern Michigan University’s School of Music & Dance is accepting undergraduate and graduate applications for the upcoming academic year! All candidates must submit an online application. International students, please visit International Admissions for additional information and support!
2020-2021 Audition Dates
- Friday, November 6, 2020
- Saturday, January 16, 2021
- Friday, February 12, 2021
- Friday, March 12, 2021
If you are interested in applying and live more than 300 miles away from Ypsilanti, MI; you may send an unedited video (uploaded onto YouTube or an alternate platform) in place of a live audition. For more information, contact Dr. Donald Babcock: [email protected].
Undergraduate repertoire requirements:
- All major scales (2 to 3 octaves each)
- Etude of choice (Popper, Duport, Piatti, or other technical studies)
- Two solo selections (presenting contrasting styles chosen from the standard repertoire)
Graduate repertoire requirements:
- Etude (Popper, Duport, Piatti, or other technical studies)
- Two contrasting selections: a movement from one of the Bach unaccompanied suites and an allegro movement from the standard cello concerto literature.
To contact Professor Pae for a trial lesson or to inquire more about EMU CELLO or any of our programs at Eastern Michigan University’s School of Music & Dance, please send an email to: [email protected].
How to Apply:
All prospective students must submit an online application to Eastern Michigan University prior to auditioning for the school. Additionally, prospective students must be accepted by the university to be considered for a departmental scholarship. International students, please visit International Admissions for additional information and support.
School of Music & Dance Application
All prospective music students must submit an undergraduate music application or graduate music application to the School of Music & Dance at least seven days prior to the audition date. As part of this process, applicants will provide names and contact information for two recommenders.
- Principal instrument/voice audition - Required of all applicants.
- Music Literacy Assessment or Music Theory Exam (undergraduate or graduate) - Required of all applicants.
- Program interview - Required of Music Education and Music Therapy applicants.
- Piano placement exam - Students with 2-4 years of previous keyboard experience are encouraged to take this exam to determine which semester of piano is appropriate.
- Audition day schedule - (January, February, March)
Official audition results are determined by the Director of the School of Music & Dance based on the recommendations of the music faculty and are mailed to the applicant, normally within ten business days of the audition.
Not ready to apply, but want to know more about EMU Music?
If you have questions concerning the Music & Dance application process, please contact Dr. Donald Babcock, admissions coordinator.
Students with disabilities who feel that they may need an accommodation to complete the admissions process should contact Dr. Donald Babcock at [email protected] for assistance.