Nursing Honors Program
The School of Nursing offers an honors track for students interested in adding the distinction of departmental honors to their EMU Nursing degree. Students can apply for the School of Nursing Honors Program after their first term in the nursing program, and should do so before the end of the second term of their second year in the program.
Newly accepted nursing honors students meet with the School of Nursing Honors Program advisor to prepare course work and select a senior thesis/project supervisor.
- The pass/fail option is not available in honors courses.
- Incomplete honors course work must be completed within the first seven weeks of the university's subsequent term to qualify for honors recognition for the course.
- Be admitted to the University Honors College.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3 at EMU.
- Have completed one semester in the EMU nursing major.
- Attend Honors College Undergraduate and Senior Thesis Workshops.
- Download the Intent to Pursue Departmental Honors form [PDF] and schedule a meeting with the School of Nursing Honors Program advisor to complete the form. The form will then be sent to the Honors College.
- Submit a written recommendation from a clinical nursing instructor.
Students are notified of their status within two weeks of application. If you have any questions about the Honor's program within the School of Nursing, please contact Dr. Valerie Pauli ([email protected]) for assistance.
To Graduate with Honors
- Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours of honors coursework in the nursing major that includes three credit hours of honors thesis/project (NURS 499 Independent Study).
- Complete NURS 372 Nursing Research course with a grade of B or better before taking honors thesis/project.
- Honors thesis/project work must be done with either tenured or tenure-track nursing faculty unless a waiver is given by the school director.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.2 in all course work.
- Maintain a B- or better in university honors courses.
- Earn a B or better in all nursing honors ("H") credits. (Grades below a B earn academic credit but not honors credit.)