Auditions and Crew Calls
EMU Theatre auditions and crew calls are open to any currently enrolled EMU student, in good academic standing, regardless of major/minor. We encourage students of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, sexualities, and abilities to participate in the EMU Theatre production program.
If you have any questions please contact Pam Cardell at [email protected] or 734.487.1220.
Upcoming Audition Information & Covid Protocol
Winter 2023 Auditions, including: Student-Written One-Acts; Hare & Tortoise; Waking Up!; 9 to 5 The Musical; and Digging Up Dessa
Thursday, January 12 from 7-10 p.m., or Friday, January 13 from 12:30-3 p.m., Room 107/Lab Theatre, Judy Sturgis Hill Bldg.
Audition information and what to prepare:
- 1 minute contemporary monologue, memorized, to be considered for all shows.
- One 16-bar musical selection for those who wish to be considered for a singing role in 9 to 5
The Musical. Bring sheet music in a 3-ring binder. Accompanist will be provided.
- Cold reading materials and musical selection options will be available at auditions for those without time to prepare. The accompanist will be available 30 minutes before each audition to assist with learning the musical selections.
- Have a list of ALL possible rehearsal conflicts ready at the time of auditions.
- Complete the online prior to your audition.
- Note: some productions conflict, including Waking Up! and 9 to 5. Please speak to the directors at auditions if you have any concerns.
Callbacks will be held separately for each production, locations are TBD:
- Student-Written One-Act callbacks, TBD as needed
- Hare & Tortoise, Tuesday, Jan. 17 from 5-8pm
- Waking Up!, Wednesday, Jan. 18 from 5-8pm
- Digging Up Dessa, Wednesday, Jan. 25 from 5-8pm
- 9 to 5 The Musical, Friday, Jan. 20 from 1-4pm
Those invited to callbacks will be notified by email or phone call. For callbacks come dressed to move and plan to stay the entire time.
Student-Written One-Act Festival
Staged reading, Directed by Lee Stille
Four one-act plays, written by EMU students will be performed as a staged reading: Beefcake, The Importance of Being Evelyn, & You Don’t Know How Lucky You Are by Chayton Bobee, and The Text by Maxwell Eli Schnorr.
- Roles available for 2-3 male-identifying, 5 female-identifying performers.
- Rehearsals begin January 17
- Performances: Jan. 29, 30, 31, Feb. 1 at 8pm and Jan. 29 & Feb. 1 at 5pm
Hare & Tortoise
by Brendan Murray, Directed by Meriah Sage
A fantastical 40 minute adaptation of Aesop’s fable, about the race to end all races. Winter ADTY Touring production, touring to local elementary schools and libraries.
- Roles available for 6 performers, including a musician.
- Rehearsals begin January 20, 9am-3pm
- Touring Performances: Fridays between 9am-3pm, Winter semester
- Public performances: Mar. 10 at 7pm and Mar. 11 at 2pm
A Devised Theatre Piece directed by Cameron Prevatte
Features larger than life puppets, masked characters, and live music as it explores how we care for ourselves in an ever-changing world.
- Roles available for 10 performers, movers, dancers, puppeteers, and/or musicians.
- Rehearsals begin February 13
- Public Performances: Mar. 17 & 18 at 7pm, and Mar. 19 at 2pm
- School matinees: Mar. 21 & 22 at 10am
9 to 5 The Musical
Music & Lyrics by Dolly Parton, Book by Patricia Resnick
Directed by Phil Simmons, Choreography by Phil Simmons & Jennifer Felts, Music Direction by R. MacKenzie Lewis
Hilarious, high-energy musical comedy based on the 1980 iconic movie of the same name.
- Roles available for 4 female-identifying, 3 male-identifying, and 6 performers of any gender-identity.
- Rehearsals begin February 13
- Performances: Mar. 31, Apr. 1, 14, 15 at 7pm and Apr. 2 & 16 at 2pm
Digging Up Dessa
by Laura Schellhardt, Directed by Emily Levickas
An evocative play for young audiences including themes of empowerment for girls, resilience, history, STEAM, and grief.
- Roles available for 3 female-identifying, 1 male-identifying performers.
- Rehearsals begin April 10
- Public Performances: May 12, 13, 19, 20 at 7pm, and May 14 & 21 at 2pm
- School matinees: May 16 & 17 at 10am
Covid Protocol & Audition Process
PLEASE NOTE that COVID protocol will be adjusted as updates occur. EMU Theatre will share these updates as they become available.
Masks - Masks are optional at auditions but may be required in rehearsals based on the director’s discretion.
Vaccines - Vaccines are required for those participating in EMU Theatre productions. Individuals must be fully vaccinated and up to date prior to beginning rehearsal and/or participating on crew for an EMU Theatre production.
Audition Process - Arrive at the Judy Sturgis Hill Building, enter the main lobby off of the circle drive. Stage management will confirm audition forms are complete. Those in need of a Cold Read will be given one. Auditionees will be placed in the Legacy Theatre while waiting. They will then be brought into the Lab Theatre individually to audition and then dismissed. Those invited to callbacks will be contacted via email.
Winter 2023 Crew Calls
If you are interested in volunteering on a crew for one of our productions, complete our
or for more information on upcoming auditions and production opportunities, please email [email protected] or call the EMU Theatre Administration Office at 734.487.1220.
For more information on the EMU Theatre production program download our EMU Theatre Program Handbook of Policies and Procedures [pdf].