Musical Theatre Program Audition Requirements
Musical Theatre program auditions are held in conjunction with EMU Theatre scholarship auditions. Our next on campus audition is planned for March 16, 2024 for Incoming Freshmen and Transfer Students. Current EMU students wishing to set up an audition should contact Pam Cardell at [email protected]
What to prepare if auditioning for BOTH scholarships AND entrance into the musical theatre program:
- Complete the online scholarship Audition Form. Completed forms will be due March 6, 2024.
- One 60-second monologue.
- Singing two contrasting 16-bar cuts of musical theatre repertoire. An accompanist will be provided, please bring sheet music in a 3-ring binder.
- Short musical theatre dance combination. (video "Where You Are, Kiss of the Spiderwoman" of the dance combination)
- A letter of reference from a theatre director, acting/singing/dance coach, etc. is required and should be emailed to [email protected]
- Audition/Presentation time should not exceed 5 minutes.
Admission into the musical theatre program is by audition; acceptance depends upon the demonstrated ability of the prospective student in the combined areas of singing, acting, and dancing. In order to determine their ability in these areas, each student will do an in-depth audition for members of the Theatre and Musical Theatre faculty as well as have a short interview with them. Admission is conditional upon the prospective student’s ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of musicianship and musicality, to demonstrate sufficient acting ability, and to be able to master a short dance combination. The interview will follow a review of the audition pieces by our adjudicators.
If you are unable to attend the next audition date, or are unable to come to campus and wish to submit a video audition, please email Pam Cardell at [email protected] to make arrangements.