PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF COATING FORMULATIONS
May 15-17, 2018
Instructor: Vijay Mannari, Ph.D.
The primary objective of this course is to familiarize the personnel involved with paints and coatings about fundamental principles underlying formulations of paints and coatings. The knowledge of basic concepts of coatings formulations goes a long way in understanding and appreciating market segments, product differentiations, product attributes and performance, cost, application areas and trouble-shooting. As such, basic understanding of coating raw materials and concepts underlying formulations of coatings, formulation tools, coating calculations, defects and troubleshooting will be presented. Effects of key formulation parameters on product attributes and cost will be discussed.
Who should attend?
This course is designed to provide a thorough fundamental understanding and working knowledge of coating formulations to general personnel in the industry. It is highly recommended for marketing, technical sales, paint users, quality control staff, customer support staff, field representatives, manufacturing personnel, entry-level chemists in technical/research area and all others who need a broad knowledge of this dynamic complex area of coating industry.
What you will learn
- The basic role of paint ingredients, their effects on coating performance.
- Paint Types -industrial, automotive, architectural - how they differ.
- Fundamentals of coating formulations.
- Volume relationships-PVC and CPVC concepts.
- Paint calculations.
- Rheology in coatings
- Understanding formulation parameters, optimization, and their effect on performance/cost.
- Cost reduction strategies, strategies for "green" coatings
- Principles of pigment dispersion, dispersion equipment, Mill-base formulation techniques
- Paint defects - causes, resolution.
- Overview of global paint and coatings market.
- Overview of coating technologies and trends
- The basic role of paint ingredients.
- Paint types. - Industrial, automotive, architectural
- Waterborne coatings, solvent borne, Powder, UV-EB
- Air-drying, forced drying - 1K, 2K
- Primers, base coats, top coats, clear, sealers
- Coating Formulation Fundamentals. - Volume relationship
- PVC and CPVC concept
- Key formulation parameters, paint calculations
- Principles of pigment dispersion, Mill-base formulations
- Role of additives
- Effect of formulation parameters on properties/performance of coatings.
- Rheology in coatings
- Coating Calculations
- Understanding coating formulations- industrial, architectural, automotive.
- Performance optimization
- Coating defects and resolution.
- Formulation from scratch!
- Experimental method for determination of CPVC
- Daniel-flow point -for mill-base formulation
- Dispersion demand of pigments
Daily Program Schedule
Class times are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day.
Enrollment is limited to 25 participants.
The fee for the 3-day course is $1,250 which covers a course-book, lunch each day and all class supplies. Lodging and other meals are not included. A certificate of participation is presented to each registrant.
Read our registration deadline and withdrawal/cancellation policies*
Click the Register Now to be redirected to the EMU Professional Programs and Training secure registration site and select Polymers and Coatings.
In the event you are unable to participate, substitutions are welcome at any time – just let us know. Please notify us IN WRITING of cancellations and transfers five (5) business days prior to the start date of the seminar in order to avoid a processing fee of $150. Please email cancellations to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not attend the seminar and do not cancel or transfer prior to the start date, the seminar fee is non-refundable.
Please note that it is our policy to hold all seminars. However, EMU reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any seminar, if necessary, and to substitute presenters. We will gladly issue seminar fee refunds if cancellation is necessary, but we cannot be responsible for any airfare penalties or other travel expenses that may be incurred due to these changes.