Safety and Health Specialist (SHS) – Construction Industry Concentration
Designed for safety professionals with at least five years of occupational safety and health experience in either construction or general industry, participants can earn a Specialist in Occupational Safety and Health certificate after successfully completing a minimum of nine courses.
Our safety programs provide real-world safety training that can be immediately applied in the workplace, giving you the knowledge in many safety and health subjects that will allow you to build upon your safety expertise.
Participants must successfully complete five required courses and four elective courses totaling a minimum of 135 contact hours through the Great Lakes OSHA Education Center.* The certificate program can be completed in as little as six months to one calendar year.
Individuals completing the SHS program will be recognized by their peers as having achieved a superior safety education and will gain credentials that will help them stand out from other safety professionals.
Five Steps to Completing your Safety Certificate
- Enroll as a certificate program member ($50 membership fee) to receive a 10% discount on each course in your program.
- Register for classes using your discount code.
- Complete all required and elective classes.
- Contact [email protected] to confirm your completion status and receive your certificate and digital badge.
- Accept your digital badge and add it to your LinkedIn profile or email signature.
- OSHA #510 Occupational Safety and Health Standards for Construction (26)
- OSHA #500 Trainer Course - Construction (26)
- OSHA #7500 Introduction to Safety and Health Management (5.5)
- OSHA #7505 Introduction to Incident (Accident) Investigation (14)
- OSHA #7405 Fall Hazard Awareness for the Construction Industry (5) or OSHA #3115 Fall Protection (18) or Fall Protection/Competent Person – Online (8)
- OSHA #521 OSHA Guide to Industrial Hygiene (26) or Industrial Hygiene – Online (26)
- OSHA #2015 Hazardous Materials (26) or Hazardous Materials - Online (26)
- OSHA #2055 Cranes in Construction (22.5)
- OSHA #2225 Respiratory Protection (26)
- OSHA #7300 Understanding OSHA’s Permit-Required Confined Space Standard (7)
or OSHA #2264 Permit-Required Confined Space Entry (20) or Permit Required Confined Spaces – Online (20)
- OSHA #3095 Electrical Standards (26)
- OSHA #7410 Managing Excavation/Trenching Operations (6.5) or OSHA #3015 Excavation, Trenching and Soil Mechanics (20) or Trenching and Excavation Qualified Person (8)
- OSHA #7105 Evacuation and Emergency Planning (4)
- OSHA #7110 Safe Bolting: Principles and Practices (7)
- OSHA #7205 Health Hazard Awareness (6)
- OSHA #7400 Occupational Noise Exposure Standards (5.5)
- OSHA #7415 Construction Industry Requirements (Major Hazards and Prevention) (12)
- OSHA #7845 Recordkeeping Rule Seminar (4)
- Protection from Crystalline Silica (8) or Protecting Construction Workers from Silica (8)
*You may transfer up to two OSHA numbered courses from another OTI Education Center for this certificate.
Certificates must be completed within five years; courses completed more than five years ago may not be applied towards the certificate.