Apply For Housing: First-Year Students
2019–2020 Housing Application Dates and Deadlines:
Monday, March 4, 2019 at 10 a.m. - Application opens for all first-year students! A $150 prepayment is required at the start of the application; please start planning for this payment NOW. The prepayment cannot be waived nor charged to your student account.
Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 10 a.m. through Friday, June 7, 2019 at 11:55 p.m. - Roommate Group section of first-year application is open during this timeframe. First-year students are HIGHLY encouraged to use the search features within the application to search for and confirm a roommate for the academic year. You can also request and confirm someone you already know via the application system. If you want to be able to pick your own roommate, you must do so during this phase of the application; no requests will be accepted after this deadline.
Friday, June 7, 2019 at 11:55 p.m. – First-year students must apply and make prepayment before this date and time to be eligible to participate in time slot room selection. If you are unable to apply or make your prepayment prior to this date and time, you will be able to complete your application starting Tuesday, July 2, at 10 a.m.
Friday, June 7, 2019 at 11:55 p.m. through Monday, June 17, 2019 at 10 a.m.- First-year application process is fully closed. No applications or prepayments accepted. Students eligible to participate in time slot room selection will be emailed during this time frame with their room selection time slot information.
Monday, June 17, 2019 at 10 a.m. through Monday, June 24, 2019 at 10 a.m. - Room selection via timeslots.
Monday, June 24, 2019 at 10 a.m. through Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 10 a.m. - All housing applications closed for the end of the fiscal year and so that we can run charges.
Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 10 a.m. - Application reopens and will remain open to complete online until opening weekend.
Be prepared. Read all of the following information. Students who fail to do so miss a lot of important information!
EMU Email Activation
You will need to activate your @emich.edu account upon your admission to EMU and before submitting your housing application. Once you activate the account, your email account will be available within 24 hours. To activate your account, go to account.emich.edu and follow the “Activate” link at the bottom using your EID student number and PIN.
All housing information throughout the summer and the subsequent school year is sent to you via your EMU email account. It is important that you activate your email account as soon as possible in order to receive housing information from our office.
- A $150 non-refundable prepayment will be needed when you start the application. The prepayment cannot be waived nor charged to the student account.
- The application is a 3 Step process:
- Step 1 – Application opens March 4, 2019 starting at 10:00am. You will read and agree to the terms of the contract, make the $150 prepayment, and complete your personal profile. Since this is most likely your first time signing a contract, it is highly recommended to have a parent or guardian read it as well.
- Step 2 – Starts May 1, 2019 and ends on June 7, 2019 at 11:55pm: You will be able to go back into your application to either request a roommate or utilize the Roommate Search option.
- Step 3– Begins June 17, 2019 at 10am: If you apply by June 7 at 11:55pm, you will be sent a designated date and time to your EMU email account indicating when you can select your hall, room, and meal plan. This information will be sent to your EMU email account about a week prior.
- Freshmen have until June 24 at 11:55pm to make a hall/room selection.
Housing & Dining Contract
- We recommend that you read through the 2019-2020 Housing & Dining contract [PDF] BEFORE starting the application. You are responsible for reading the terms and conditions of the contract. Know what it is that you are agreeing to.
- The Housing & Dining Services contract is for the full academic school year, September through April (both Fall and Winter semesters).
- A release from the contract is NOT given anytime throughout the academic year for an enrolled student once they have moved into their assigned space. You can read more about our cancellation policy on the contract page.
- If you have not yet reached the age of 18 at the time you start the application, you must have a parent or legal guardian co-sign the contract agreement. You will download and submit this within the application portal.
Move-in for Fall 2019
- Move-In for the Fall 2019 semester for all new incoming freshmen will be on Friday, August 30, 2019.
- More move-in information will be emailed in early August. Information will also be available online as soon as dates are finalized.
- Students selecting Downing Hall must be admitted to the Honors College.
- Students selecting Best must have a minimum high school gpa of a 3.3.
- You will have the opportunity to request to live with someone you already know or search for a potential roommate using the Roommate Search option which is part of the housing application.
- Suitemate requests are not an available option. However, you will be able to coordinate with others at the time that you select your room in June to place yourselves together as suitemates.
- A video will be posted here and within the application portal to help you through this process.
- A cancellation of the contract can be made prior to August 30, 2019 by emailing our office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, EID number, and the reason for cancellation.
- The $150 prepayment is non-refundable.
- Requests for cancellation are not accepted by phone.
- The 2019-2020 room and board rates can be found on our Rates page.
- If you will be relying on any kind of financial aid funding for the 2019-2020 school year, you need to begin the FAFSA application process NOW or as soon as possible. This needs to be completed well BEFORE the start of the school year.
- You can familiarize yourself with the process by going to the Financial Aid website.
- When you receive your award letter, there are steps that need to be taken in order for your aid to be ready when the fall semester starts:
- You will need to accept the aid that was awarded to you
- Complete the on-line Entrance Counseling
- Sign the Promissory Note
- These instructions will be explained in more detail on your financial aid award letter
- All students must have their aid accepted and finalized BEFORE moving in for the fall semester.
- Students and parents need to have a realistic discussion about their ability to cover the costs of room and board before moving in.
- Any balance that is not covered by financial aid funds will need to be paid before school starts. Please refer to the fall 2019 billing due dates at Student Business Services.
- If you have additional questions please contact us via email at email@example.com. Questions are answered quickly by an administrative staff member who knows the correct information.
- Do not rely on room selection information given to you by anyone other than what is given to you by an administrative Housing staff member. This includes friends, RAs, Housing front desk staff, or other offices on campus…it is often wrong.
- Or stop by the Housing Office to speak with one of the assignment staff. We are more than willing to take the time to answer all of your questions. We will also be available at all FastTrack sessions.
- Please click here to access the housing application portal.
- You need to use Chrome or Firefox when accessing the application. All other browsers have difficulties.
- Internet Explorer is NOT supported by our application system and cannot be used.
- Always clear your cache BEFORE entering the application system.