Frequently Asked Questions

What is a 2+2 or 3+1 articulation agreement?

Articulation agreements are a joint partnership between an academic program at EMU and an academic program at the community college. Agreements facilitate a student's successful transfer of while saving time, money and confusion.

How do the 2+2 or 3+1 articulation agreements benefit students?

  • They allow you to finish your degrees as efficiently as possible.
  • They map out all the courses you need to take at both schools.
  • Some agreements allow up to 90 credits to be taken at the community college.
  • Students get earlier access to EMU faculty and advisors.

How do students qualify to use a 2+2 or 3+1 articulation agreement?

Any community college student that is taking part or took part in a community college program with an active EMU articulation agreement qualifies.

How does a student know if EMU has agreements with their community college?

EMU has over 100 agreements with community colleges both in and out of Michigan.

When should students indicate to EMU their interest in using a 2+2 or 3+1?

Students should indicate their interest in using an agreement as soon as they make their decision to follow one. The sooner we know who you are the sooner we can start assisting you. Please fill out the short on-line form to indicate your interest to us.

Does a student have to indicate they are using a 2+2 or 3+1 agreement prior to their application or registration at EMU?

Indicating you are using an agreement early on in your college career will allow EMU the best opportunity to plan and work with you while you are still attending your community college. We strongly encourage you to indicating that you are using an agreement because it provides benefits to you, but it is not a requirement.

Are students required to complete all the courses on the 2+2 or 3+1 guide before transferring to EMU?

No. Articulation guides layout all the courses a student needs to complete both the associate and bachelor degrees, but the agreement does not mandate that every course be completed before a student can transfer.

Can a student use an articulation agreement if they have attended a four-year university and a community college?

Yes. Attending a university in addition to a community college does not preclude you from using an agreement. As long as the student is taking or has taken courses in a community college program that has an articulation agreement with an EMU program they are eligible.

Can a student re-enrolling at EMU use an articulation agreement?

Yes, but based on the number of credits completed at EMU and the community college the agreement may not provide any benefit. In this case, you should contact the Office of Community College Relations at 734.487.6577 for more details.

What if a student decides to stop using a 2+2 or 3+1 agreement?

If a student decides to stop using an agreement, they should let us know by editing their "Articulation Agreement User Form". The "Edit your Articulation Agreement User Form" link is on the left navigation bar. Consulting with the EMU Office of Community College Relations and your community college counselor is strongly advised so that you can make an alternate college plan.

Skip Section Navigation