Dr. Uttara Manohar is a new faculty member in the School of Communication, Media, & Theatre Arts. She earned her M.A. and Ph.D. in Communication from the Ohio State University. In her research and teaching, she focuses on interracial and intercultural communication and examines practices that manifest biases and prejudice, as well as practices that elicit perspective-taking and intergroup empathy.
- Ph.D. Communication, The Ohio State University, 2015
- Graduate Certificate in College and University Teaching, The Ohio State University, 2015
- M.A. Communication, The Ohio State University, 2011
- M.A. Journalism & Mass Communication, Amity University, India, 2007
- B.S. (Honors), Pune University, India, 2005
Interests and ExpertiseDr. Manohar's research research examines interpersonal communication in intercultural and cross-cultural contexts, and focuses on two broad questions: How do communication practices manifest and sustain differences and biases based on social categories such as race, ethnicity, nationality, and gender? What type of communication practices can disrupt these biases and help foster strong interpersonal relationships?
- COMM 274 Intercultural Communication
- COMM 275 Inter Racial/Ethnic Communication
- International Communication Association
- National Communication Association
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Central States Communication Association