An Evening with the Bard
A one-man show highlighting the works of William Shakespeare. Directed by EMU alum Dennis Cockrum, and adapted & performed by EMU alum Tim Monsion. This special event will be held one night only, November 4, 2022 at 7 p.m. in the Sponberg Theatre. A brief talkback and dessert reception will follow the performance. Suggested for audiences age 14+. Tickets for this special event are $20.
About the director:
Dennis Cockrum is an EMU Graduate - B.S. 1977, M.A. 1984. After leaving EMU, he performed in theaters across the country, films, and television. A highlight of roles include:
- Broadway: Frost/Nixon (Bernard B. Jacobs Theater).
- Regional: Dead End (Ahmanson Theater, L.A.), Our Town (Steppenwolf Theater, Chicago), Minnie’s Boys (National Jewish Theater, Chicago), Tobacco Road (American Blues Theater, Chicago, Ensemble Member), Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, (Joseph Jefferson Citation for best actor, role of Guildenstern).
- World Premieres: Nighthawks, Of Equal Measure (Kirk Douglas Theater, L.A.), God of Isaac, Mr. 80%, Hard Feelings (Victory Gardens Theater, Chicago), Hard Hearts, Lincoln Park Zoo - by EMU alum Richard Strand, (Geva Theater, N.Y.), Bad Moon (American Blues Theater, Chicago).
- Film: Code of Silence, Uncle Buck, The Package, Desperate Measures, Murder by Numbers, Extreme Movie, Gangster Squad, Hail Caesar!, Soy Nero, Angels in Stardust, Downeast.
- Telefilms: In a Child’s Name, Emma’s Wish, Total Stranger, Inherit the Wind, The Last Cowboy.
- Television, recurring: Chicago Med, Animal Kingdom, American Dreams, West Wing, Boston Legal, Firefly, Malcolm in the Middle, It’s All Relative, King of Queens, Cop Rock, Uncle Buck, American Horror Story: Cult, SEAL Team, Masters of Sex, and 11 Seasons as Terry Milkovich on Shameless.
About the actor:
Tim Monsion is an EMU Graduate who has worked at several major theaters including: The Kennedy Center, Arena Stage (D.C,), Hartford Stage, Dallas Theater Center, Cincinnati Playhouse, Mark Taper Forum (LA), The Goodman Theatre (Chicago), Theater on the Square (San Francisco), Chicago Shakespeare, Laguna Playhouse, and Peninsula Players. Tim currently lives in Los Angeles with his lovely and patient wife Tricia Kiley and son Nick. Tim’s daughter Dorothea lives in Grand Rapids with husband Mark and Tim’s granddaughter Zephyr. A highlight of his work includes:
- National Tour: The King’s Speech, Churchill (Covid paused).
- Off Broadway: Marvin’s Room, creating the role of Dr. Wally for runs in New York (Playwrights Horizons Theater, Minneta Lane Theatre) and the Tiffany Theater in Hollywood.
- Notable Chicago theater: The Winter’s Tale, Light Up The Sky, The Visit, Marvin’s Room, A Flea In Your Ear (The Goodman). Butler (by EMU alum Richard Strand), City of Conversation (Northlight Theatre). Tim was awarded the Joseph Jefferson Citation for playing Estragon in Waiting for Godot (Bailiwick Theatre) and was nominated for the Joseph Jefferson Citation for playing Jaques in As You Like It (Bailiwick Theatre).
- Film: Blink, Men of Honor, Second Greatest Story Ever Told, Everyday Miracles, Fenton Black’s Last Dance.
- Television: Modern Family, Law and Order LA, Numb3rs, Monk, Terminator: Sarah Conners Chronicles, Desperate Housewives, Frasier, King of Queens, 7th Heaven, Mad About You, Medium, Cybill, Chicago Hope, Sisters, Acapulco Heat, Innocent Victims (MOW).
- EMU favorites include, Private Lives (directed by Bob McElya), Elizabeth the Queen (directed by P. George Bird), Night of the Iguana (directed by Marvin Sims), The Masque of Beauty and the Beast (directed by Virginia Koste), Look Homeward Angel (directed by Parker Zellers), Abelard and Heloise (directed by Ken Stevens) and Dracula (directed by Jim Gousseff).