Contributed by the EMU Chemistry Club
DIY lip gloss!
- Wear safety goggles to protect your eyes at all times.
- Be sure an adult manages the stove and pours hot liquids for you.
- Don’t eat or drink anything while working on your project.
- Lip balm tubes or tins (find on Amazon, at Michaels, etc.)
- Beeswax (buy on Amazon or at the local drugstore)
- Coconut oil
- Lipstick (optional; you’ll need to cut a small chunk from it)
- Double boiler (for stovetop) or glass bowl (for microwave)
- Craft stick
- Essential oil (optional)
Note: This recipe makes three tubes or tins of lip balm!
- Measure out 8 grams (about 1.5 tsp.) of beeswax into the double boiler or bowl.
- In the same pot, add another 8 grams (about 1.5 tsp.) coconut oil.
- If you’d like, add a small chunk of lipstick for color.
- Place the double boiler on the stovetop over low heat and slowly heating the mixture until everything melts. Gradually heat in the microwave if using the bowl. (Note: Using a double boiler is important; do not heat the mixture directly!)
- Use a craft stick to mix everything together.
- When everything has melted, add a few drops of an essential oil like lemon or peppermint.
- Mix with a craft stick.
- Have an adult help you pour the hot mixture into your lip balm tubes or tins
The Department of Chemistry is located in the recently expanded and completely renovated Mark Jefferson Science Complex. We have staff offices and labs throughout the building. The Chemistry Department office is room 541 and is open from 8 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday—Friday. The phone number is 734.487.0106.