About the Economics Department
Economics Department is part of the College of Arts and Sciences, located at the center of the main campus in Pray Harrold Building in Ypsilanti, Michigan. The department is formally established in early 1960s after the Social Sciences Department was split into different disciplines.
Economics Department takes the pride in providing quality education in small size classes and offers Bachelors of Arts and Bachelor of Sciences (STEM program starting in Fall 2020) programs at the undergraduate level. The department also offers a Bachelor of Business Administration in Economics and International Business-Economics in collaboration with the College of Business. In addition the department offers a Bachelor of Science in Actuarial Science and Economics in collaboration with Mathematics Department.
The department houses several masters program and certificates. The terminal degrees MA in Economics along with MA in Health Economics,MA in International Economics and Development, MA in Trade and Development are well established in the department. Economics Department is also proud of offering MS in Applied Econometrics (STEM) in which students are provided extensive instruction in econometrics, and data analysis.
The department is currently working on a Combined Bachelor of Science and Master of Science program that students can complete both of these STEM degrees in five years.
There are nine full-time tenured and tenure-track faculty in the department. Three faculty hold the rank of full professor, four are associate professors and two are assistant professors. There are also three part time lecturers. The faculty of the Department of Economics has been professionally active and highly productive in research and scholarship.
Points of Distinction
- Well-trained faculty - all faculty hold an earned Ph.D. in economics from highly recognized universities throughout the U.S.
- The publication record of the faculty is far above the rest of the University. We currently rank 13th out of a list of all Master's Degrees in economics programs in the U.S. In addition, many serve as referees for journals in the economics discipline.
- Some of the most effective classroom instructors at EMU are economics professors. They have received the EMU Alumni Teaching Excellence Award, Golden Key Award, Student Appreciation Award of the Economics Club at EMU, etc.
- A number of our faculty have been awarded sabbaticals and fellowships for their research.
- The Economics Department has a high productivity rate based on credit hours per faculty.
During the last decade, the department has published several articles in different refereed journals in fields of economics, finance, public policy, psychology and health. A number of these articles have been published in highly visible journals.