Please check out this page to stay updated on new and exciting things happening in the department, including student and alumni information.
- 06/2021: We are delighted to announce that our B.S. in Quantitative Economics major Odia Kaba has been accepted into the Keith Sherin Global Leaders Program, hosted by the Council for Opportunity in Education - COE for Summer 2021.
- 06/2021: During the Board of Regents June meeting in 2021, the board approved the Emeritus status for Dr. David Crary. After 41 years at EMU, Dr. Crary retired effective April 30, 2021. Board of Regents approved the hire of Dr. Svetlana Beilfuss who will be joining the Department of Economics in Fall 2021 semester.
- 04/2021: During Board of Regents last meeting on April 15, 2021, the board approved the Emeritus status for Dr. Steven Hayworth. After 43.5 years at EMU, Dr. Hayworth retired effective December 31, 2020.
- 04/2021: Dr. Amanda Stype received the 2021 Summer Research/Creative Activity Award with her research entitled “Examining the Causes and Impacts of COVID-19 at the County Level.”
- 04/2021: Department of Economics congratulates the Class of 2021!!! At the end of Winter 2021 semester, 20 students successfully completed their degree requirements and received their Bachelors and Masters degrees from the Eastern Michigan University Department of Economics.
- 04/2021: Department of Economics hosted the 2021 Awards Ceremony: Celebration of Student Success on April 15th 2021. The Eastern Michigan University College of Arts & Sciences Dean Dana Heller, The Honors College at Eastern Michigan University Dean Ann Eisenberg, as well as the CAS Associate Dean Steven Pernecky made congratulatory remarks followed by Dr. Svetlana Beilfuss’ keynote speech. The video recording of the virtual event is available at the following link.
- 04/2021: Brown Bag Research Webinar: “The Impact of Terrorist Attack on CEO Turnover” by Andy (Young Han) Kim, Associate Professor, SKKU Business School was held on April 6, 2021.
- 03/2021: Department of Economics is pleased to announce that the department was represented with two students in the 41st Undergraduate Symposium: Anna Newmyer "Moderate Voters and the Economy" and Emma Krietemeyer "Modeling the Cost of Housing using Interest Rates: An Application of Time Series Analysis"
- 03/2021: Anna Newmyer, senior majoring in Economics and member of The Honors College at Eastern Michigan University received the prestigious the 2021 Charles Phillips Outstanding Student Leader Award of Omicron Delta Epsilon: International Honor Society for Economics.
- 03/2021: As part of Alumni Corner event, Dr. Edmond Berisha presented his current research entitled "Monetary Policy Shocks and Income Inequality: Does it matter where you stand in income distribution?" on Tuesday, March 2 2021. The video recording of the virtual event is available at the following link.
- 02/2021: Dr. Saunoris presented his research entitled "Is the shadow economy procyclical or countercyclical over the business cycle? International evidence" in our first Brown Bag Seminar of the semester on February 2021. The video recording of the virtual event is available at the following link.
- 02/2021: The first department head of Economics, Professor Young-Iob Chung, has recently passed away at the age of 92 due to natural causes.
- 12/2020: Department of Economics has organized a virtual social event for all students, alumni, and friends to celebrate the end of the semester.
- 12/2020: Dr. Daniel Giedeman (Professor, Grand Valley State), Dr. Kuhelika De (Assistant Professor, Grand Valley State) and Dr. Ryan Compton (Professor, University of Manitoba) presented their joint work entitled "Macroeconomic Shocks and Racial Labor Market Differences" in the final Brown Bag Seminar of the Fall 2020 semester. The video of the event is available here.
- 12/2020: Department kicked-off a fundraiser for STEM in Economics Scholarship. The scholarship is available here.
- 11/2020: Ms. Judy Keenan, Director, EEOC met with our students in our Alumni Corner event co-sponsored with Women in Economics Club. The video of the event is available here.
- 10/2020: Dr. Christopher Elias Associate Professor, Eastern Michigan University presented his research entitled "Bayesian Estimation of a Medium-Scale New Keynesian Model with Heterogeneous Expectations" in our Brown Bag Seminar. The video of the event is available here.
- 09/2020: Department of Economics organized an Info Session with PFM (See the flyer) for full time and internship opportunities on Thursday, September 17 at 3:30 p.m. via zoom. The entire session can be viewed at the following link.
- 09/2020: Department of Economics organized a Fall 2020 Meet & Greet event, on Tuesday, September 8th at Noon via Zoom.
- 08/2020: Our 2020 Newsletter is now available. Check out the recent news, faculty and student accomplishments and alumni news at the following link.
- 07/2020: Faculty in the Department of Economics discussed the economic impact of COVID-19 on a Panel Discussion on July 7, 2020 via zoom. The flyer of the virtual discussion can be found at this link. The event is also available for viewing on our social media.
- 06/2020: The Department of Economics is pleased to announce the new, STEM designated Combined B.S./M.S. degree in Quantitative Economics. With this program, students can complete both degrees in five years with 142 credit hours. For more information, check out the STEM programs in the Department of Economics.
- 05/2020: Omicron Delta Epsilon in collaboration with Women in Economics Club is awarded $1,000 grant to start two new programs to support students during Fall 2020.
- 05/2020: The Department of Economics is pleased to announce the 2020 awards along with academic, scholarly, and service recognitions. For the complete list of awards and recognitions, check out our booklet.
- Board of Regents has approved the new STEM-designated program: Bachelor of Science in Quantitative Economics (BSQE) starting Fall 2020. For more information check out the STEM programs in the Department of Economics.