This checklist and our staff are here to assist you in acquiring your Veterans Education benefits so you will get the maximum amount of aid for funding your education.

Apply for Admission to Eastern Michigan University

Before you begin pursuing financial benefits, you'll want to make sure you've applied to the University.  Eastern Michigan waives the application fee for military veterans.  Undergraduate students application waiver fee code is MIL.  In order for Graduate students to have their application fee waived the student must e-mail [email protected] to request a waiver.  If you have never attended a college or university you should apply as a freshman (although you will get transfer credit for your military training.) If you have attended a college or university before you will apply as a transfer student.

Obtain Academic Transcripts From Previous Institutions

To earn transfer credit from coursework completed prior to attending Eastern Michigan University, collect your transcripts from previous colleges and any military institutions that can be considered for EMU credit. Provide copies of your military transcripts and your DD 214 discharge documents to the EMU Office of Admissions for evaluation.

If you are applying as an undergraduate student your transcripts from other schools should be sent to: PO Box 921, Ypsilanti MI 48197

If you already have a degree and are applying to graduate programs transcripts from other schools should be sent to: PO Box 970, Ypsilanti, MI 48197

Your military transcripts can be requested online:

Apply for Financial Aid

Use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for financial aid. Even if you qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® at 100%, which will cover tuition and fees and a living allowance, you may, at times, be short of funds or have unexpected costs associated with being a student. You may qualify for a PELL Grant or other gift aid (aid that does not need to be re-paid) which can assist you in covering other Cost of Attendance expenses. Your FAFSA should be filed by February 15th for priority consideration for scholarships for the upcoming academic year.  You can find all the information for applying for the FAFSA on the EMU Financial Aid page. The institution code for EMU is 002259.

Make an Advising Appointment

Once admitted you will be notified by letter and possibly phone, to make an appointment for Academic Advising by calling University Advising and Career Development Center at 734.487.0400. Meeting with an academic advisor early in the course scheduling process can save you a lot of time, energy, and mistakes. Advisors can help you plan a manageable course load that meets your specific academic needs. They can also assist you in ensuring that all the courses for which you will request GI Bill® funding apply to your degree plan. This is a Veterans Affairs requirement in order to receive benefits. Your initial meeting with an academic advisor will be part of your orientation program. Following this meeting, you will enroll in classes.

Register for Classes

Once you have set up your my.emich account and have attended an advising session you will be able to register for classes using the web. Student veterans receive priority registration.

Attend Orientation

Freshmen and Transfer Student Orientation is a great opportunity for you to get better acclimated with the university and its policies. Also, this is an opportunity to gain a sense of the organizations and activities you'd like to be involved in as a student. Military and Veteran Services holds a semi-annual "In-Brief/orientation" for all new and current student veterans. E-mail our office at [email protected] for details.

Apply for Veterans Affairs Benefits

There are many benefit programs available to veterans. Visit the official GI Bill® Web site to go through a step-by-step process to get an idea of what benefits are best for you, or contact us and we can guide you through the process. You will find it easier to complete the application for benefits if you have a copy of your DD214 to reference your dates of military experience. You will need to complete one of the following forms online through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website. It may take eight weeks to process your initial application for education benefits. So you should start this process as soon as you know when you plan to attend, even if you have not been admitted yet.

Enrollment Certification Request

In order to receive your benefits, you must complete the online enrollment certification request. We'll need to collect some information based on your service and benefits. This step lets us know to report your information to Veterans Affairs and to complete the process. You must complete the online enrollment certification request each semester after you register for classes.

Keep in mind that your VA benefits can be used only for classes that are required for graduation in your program of study.

Other reminders

You must notify us when you add, drop, or withdraw from classes so we can update your enrollment certification. Report changes to our office by emailing us at [email protected].

If you fail or withdraw from classes you may incur an overpayment and subsequent debt

If you earn an incomplete "I" in a class, the class must be completed within one year or it will result in an overpayment and subsequent debt.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at

Skip Section Navigation