Faculty and Staff Resources

Because staff and faculty are in the campus community interacting with students every day, you are sometimes the first to see a student struggling. After encountering a student in distress or who tells you about negative life events or their mental health history, you may wonder how to react. We're here to help.

Tips for Interacting with Students and Referring to CAPS

Simply listening with empathy and full attention can be helpful. Sometimes that's enough. If a student seems to need more, please tell them about CAPS.

Talking Points

  • Explain addressing problems is a sign of strength.
  • Getting counseling is not a sign of weakness or that someone is "crazy."
  • Counseling is a tool to improve problems, reach goals and help people feel better.
  • Inform students that counseling services at CAPS are professional, confidential and free.
  • Tell students they can make an appointment by calling 734.487.1118 or going to 1075 North Huron River Dr. Generally, they won't be seen the same day unless it's an emergency. We'll schedule them for an intake appointment as soon as possible.
  • Sometimes a student may not want to go to CAPS. If they are not in immediate danger, this is okay and it is their choice.

Emergency Situations

  • A student is thinking of killing themselves or someone else.
  • They have recently been assaulted.
  • A loved one has recently died.

In the above cases, please walk the student to CAPS if possible. With the student's permission, we'd like you to provide us with more information to help us understand the situation prior to meeting with the student. If you're not able to walk the student over, please call us to let us know the student is coming.

If after hours, contact staff by email and please leave a message with our after hours phone counseling service. If it is an emergency, call campus police (911).

Other Actions

  • If you're not sure what to do, call CAPS and ask to consult with a staff member.  We would be happy to discuss the situation and help you figure out the best way to handle it.
  • You can always submit a report to the Student Intervention Team (SIT).

In case of emergency, use these resources.