This is Statistics
Contributed by Professor Stephanie Casey, EMU Math Department
The American Statistical Association created the This is Statistics website and campaign to raise awareness of the many interesting careers in statistics, a long-established profession that has experienced tremendous growth and expanded importance and interest among students and employers in recent years due to advances in technology, the growth of “Big Data,” and the wider adoption of data-driven decision making in the private and public sectors.
Note: This activity is hosted on an external site not managed by EMU. Always practice safety online and never share personal information without asking a legal guardian first.
The mission of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics is to instill an appreciation of the intrinsic beauty, the diverse origins, and the practical aspects of mathematics.
To this end, the department:
- provides students a well-balanced academic program at the baccalaureate and master's degree levels;
- functions as a scholarly unit promoting faculty and student research; and
- serves as a resource for mathematical expertise to the university and to the larger community.
More specifically, the department dedicates itself to:
- providing the highest quality educational experience possible to undergraduate and graduate students within Mathematics majors and minors, and to students enrolled in General Education Program courses and service courses used in other programs;
- fostering involvement in research by both students and faculty; and
- providing meaningful service to the EMU academic community, to the disciplines of our faculty, to the broader mathematical community, and to the local and regional communities.