Your host culture may consider gender roles quite differently from what you have been accustomed to in the U.S. Consider the following questions and research your destination(s) so that you can answer the following:
- How are women expected to behave? How do they dress?
- How do men treat women? Is the role of women in society dependent on marital status?
- What are the cultural norms regarding interactions of males and females?
- Do people in my host country have stereotypes of American women? What are those stereotypes?
- Are there body language cues that would be considered provocative? (e.g.; direct eye contact in some cultures).
- Is it safe for me to go out alone? Are there areas or places I should avoid?