Health and Safety
The safety of our students abroad is our first and most fundamental priority. We subscribe to the best practices as laid out by NAFSA (National Association of International Educators). We monitor safety conditions using U.S. State Department information along with other reliable sources.
If conditions change and the University cancels a program before its departure, students will receive a full refund. If a program is already underway and must be canceled, the University will arrange for students to return home and issue appropriate refunds. If a program is not canceled and conditions warrant, we will alter itineraries to maximize security. If a student wishes to withdraw from a program that is not canceled by the University, withdrawal must be received in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org the normal policy regarding withdrawals is in effect. As we continue to monitor safety conditions for each of our programs, we'll provide updated information to students.
- Student Handbook
- Intellectual Property Safety and Security: Tips on keeping your laptop and PDA safe while abroad [PDF]
- All student will be enrolled in a health insurance policy. Most will be enrolled in GeoBlue.
The plan includes access to a 24/7 Worldwide Assistance Network for emergency assistance, anywhere in the world. This service provides referrals to the nearest medical facility or English-language provider, as well as help relaying messages to family members. In addition to on-the-ground medical coverage, our policy provides for medical evacuation and repatriation and security evacuation. Students who need assistance with claims should seek help from the Office of Study Abroad.
Other Study Abroad Resources
EMU University Resources
- EMU Counseling and Psychological Services
- Watch their video for study abroad students.
- University Health Services Travel Health Clinic
- Watch their video on travel health.
U.S. Government Travel Resources
- U.S. Embassies
- U.S. Department of State
- Overseas Security Advisory Council
- U.S. Department of State travel warnings
- Services and information for American citizens abroad (emergency services, medical information, etc.)
- Bureau of Consular Affairs, travel abroad
- Destination information
- Passport services