Financial Aid and Scholarships

If you attend an approved program and meet eligibility requirements, you can take advantage of state, federal, and EMU institutional financial aid. The entire cost of a program is considered in determining your financial need. If you're attending an EMU program, it will appear as regular EMU credit on your transcript.

Faculty-led programs over Winter Break and Intersession are part of Winter semester. You can apply financial aid and scholarships towards them as part of your regular semester credit load.

If you’re not an EMU student, apply for financial aid at your home institution. You will use the budget breakdowns listed on the selected program home page to share with your study abroad or financial aid advisor at your home institution.

Study Abroad Financial Planner

  • Complete the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) at least six months before the date your program begins. Find out more about the FAFSA.
  • Check your my.emich account for outstanding financial aid requirements or changes to your award.
  • If your file is selected for review, turn in your documents as soon as possible.
  • If you don't have enough money for your trip, talk to your parents about the PLUS loan or apply for an alternative loan. This loan must be submitted no less than four weeks before the trip leaves.
  • After you've been accepted to a program, we'll send a cost breakdown, including estimates for costs not included in the program fee, to the Office of Financial Aid so they can adjust your financial aid budget.

Deadlines and Important dates

  • Winter Trips: Alternative or PLUS loan applications should be completed no later than Dec. 11. If you're attending a Winter Break program and were awarded before winter recess in December, you’ll need to save a portion of your refund check to pay for your program.
  • Summer Trips: Summer applications should be available Feb. 15. Summer aid is first-come, first-served, so be prepared to complete and return the forms the same day. Alternative or PLUS loan applications must be completed at least four weeks before the trip leaves.
  • Fall Trips: The FAFSA should be done by Feb.15 for trips leaving in fall semester. This gives you the greatest chance to receive priority financial aid.

Common Misconceptions

  • Financial aid does not have special grant funds for study abroad programs. You can apply for study abroad scholarships.
  • The Office of Financial Aid cannot award funds to cover apartment rent and car payments while you are on a program abroad.
  • Stafford loan limits cannot be increased for study abroad programs. The Federal Government sets the Stafford loan limits by grade level.


For more information, schedule an advising session.

Skip Section Navigation